Chapter 25-Why get involved?

I turn to look at who it was, and gasp at the bloodied bodies in front of me.

All five of them were tending their wounds, while Lilith helped Chris to his. He was the most wounded compared to everyone. His body bruised, blood across his face and his clothes had patches all over.

"What happened?" I scream in horror.

"What do you think happened?" Chris spoke in his rude tone, from which I was least affected.

"Shut up and don't move!!" Lilith shouted at her brother.

"Oh, we're in so much trouble." Maia who was resting her head back pointed towards the table.

My breath hitches, there were a fistful of diamonds on the table.

"You see those," Harry sat beside Maia. "If those had gone in the wrong hands, things would have been a lot more worst."

×××

Maia checked up on everyone's wounds in the Evening, she looked very professional.

"Fuck," Ethan curses. I was surprised, something was different about him. It's like this place was changing him, but the question is, is it good or bad?

Is it for the better, or for the worst?

As for what they were planning on doing with the diamonds... I have absolutely no idea. In fact, they don't either.

"We should just burry it in underground and finish this matter off," Jake suggests.

"That would be a waste of our efforts."

"Then do you want us to use it for ourself? How are we any better off than them if we use these to improve our weaponry!"

"We could use them for food," Lilith shrugs.

"We all would be long dead till we actually finish this whole amount on 'food'"

"I hope you're not thinking about clothes now, are you Lilith?"

"No," she waves her hand to dismiss the idea.

"Food!" An idea pops in my mind, welp, what am I getting myself into?

"What about food?" Chris looks astonished at me as I make an attempt to suggest in a matter I have nothing to do about.

"Christmas is a few days ahead, so I was thinking about organising a charity." The young boy I had met outside this morning, had really taken a toll on me.
I guess everything happens for a reason.

Chris crouches in front of the table, fidgeting with the diamonds.

"Sit!" Lilith pulls Chris up on the sofa.

"Whatever." The two siblings play ball with this word, but an even better description of this is- an infection that both of them share.

"What are your thoughts?" Harry asks Chris.

"We'll need to exchange these for money..." Chris gets cut off by Jake, "which is impossible! They will suspect us."

Jake's argument was correct, but, "no one said that we needed to take them to the same place all at once."

"Do we look like rich ass folks to you?" Jake was loosing his temper, he was desperate to end this topic as soon as possible.

"We could dress like them."

Chris grinned at the idea.

×××

"Why are you getting involved with them?!" Ethan caught me by my arm after dinner.

"What do you mean?" I was confused, what did he mean by that.

"With the diamond business." His grip on me grew harder, and I winced, "I'm sorry! Ethan it hurts!" He didnt hear me ple, instead he asked again, "why did you get involved!"

"I just wanted to do something in exchange for their help." I try to remove his hands off my arm but his grip wouldn't loosen. I shiver as I remember a familiar scene.
A glimpse of my father passes through Ethan's anger.

Why? Just why?

Did I do something wrong to deserve this?

Ethan notices a stray tear roll down my cheek and it dawns on him that he was hurting me.

"You-"

"Leave her alone." Ethan gets cut off by Chris.

He breaks Ethan's grip from my arm and puts a key in his palm. "That's your room."

"Come. I'll take you to your room."

"It's alright i'll do it for her." Ethan pushed Chris away. "No!" I broke in. I was too afraid to be next to him. Too afraid to experience it all over again.

Chris gave Ethan a sloppish grin and put his palm on the small of my back as he guided me through the stairway.
The stairway was dark as usual, but there was an unfamiliar scent beside me.

I have never liked dark places, and having someone unfamiliar next to me isn't comforting either.

A beam of light falls on top of Chris, a small scream escapes me as his eyes fell on me.

"Relax, its only me." Chris reassures.

I walk faster, and his hand slips from my waist.

"Good night." Chris stops in front of the door.

"Night." I close the door behind me and unplug the charger from my phone.

To my surprise, there was a voice mail from Angelin.

Ida, she sniffs, call me when you hear this. I really want to talk to you.

A/N

💪🏼I will complete this book!