31

Saying his name out loud was like someone had jammed a finger hard into my ribs. I wanted to sink back into the sofa and just keep sinking, until I disappeared. I called Ronan to come here, just so he could get in the loop as well.

"But..." Irina said. "How does that work? Millie killed him, didn't she?"

I sighed again. "I thought I had."

"There's every possibility that it's not Haydn." David said, trying to make everything seem better than it was.

I gave him a look, before Ronan appeared, looking concerned when he saw us all sat there looking confused and miserable.

"What's happened?" He asked, specifically looking at me.

"We think we know who the strange guy is that Millie saw." David said.

"Ah." Ronan said, but he wasn't surprised. He knew.

"I take it you'd come to the same conclusion?" I asked.

Ronan smiled. "Maybe. I didn't want to say it until I had more proof. It would have stressed you out."

I nodded, knowing that was why he didn't say it. Knowing it was why I didn't say it. "Looks like we've all been thinking it." I said. "Except Irina." I chuckled.

She smiled. "I still don't understand how it could be him."

I shrugged. "Neither, but Haydn isn't just some ordinary guy." I said. "Hell, he's not even an ordinary Argent. He had control of the darkness in a way that's never been seen before. Who knows what that did to him."

"You did, too." David reminded me.

"Not like him, though." I said. "Haydn rid himself of his elements to tap into the true power of the darkness. I'd barely brushed the surface with what the darkness could do."

"What about the SED?" Irina asked. "They have to know more about this than we do."

"Oh, they definitely do." I said. "They must. They're investigating it all. But, apparently it's not my mission. They won't tell me anything unless they feel the need to."

"Do you think they know it could be Haydn?" David asked.

I shrugged. "Not sure. But it would explain why they didn't want to tell me about it."

"Maybe if you say to them that you think it's Haydn." David said. "They might let you in on it a bit more."

"Fat chance." I scoffed, feeling pissed off with the SED all of a sudden. If it was Haydn, and they knew it or even suspected it could be him, then didn't I have a right to know? After all, I'd been the one to get rid of him in the first place. My first year of university had been a total nightmare because of him. All my friends and family would be dead if that man had lived to see another day.

And yet, here I was, useless again. All because the SED didn't think I needed to know.

I mean, who did they think they were?

"Millie?" I heard Ronan say, and all of a sudden I felt this dark cloud lift from my thoughts. I hadn't even felt it accumulate, but now that it was gone, I knew there had been something there.

I looked at Ronan, slightly concerned about how angry I was on my way to becoming.

"Fuck." I muttered, rubbing my now sore head.

"What happened?" Ronan asked me. "The room... it felt different for a moment."

"It went dark." Irina said, saying it how it was.