4

It had been three whole months since I'd had a Chaos episode- Ronan and I had assumed that it was over, although he did warn me that it never went away completely. Even old and experienced Argents had moments when their element would build to a point where it couldn't be contained anymore, especially with elements like lightning and fire. The only way to stop it from causing any damage was to release it in a secluded space, or to use the Black Prometheum to absorb the power. It was always more satisfying to just let the energy escape, though.

However, as I sat scrolling through jobs on my laptop, I could feel a sudden influx in electrical energy. My ears filled with a loud buzzing sound, and I felt an urge to run really fast. I was well aware that my mum was ironing downstairs, and so I quickly shoved my shoes on and calmly walked towards the back door.

"Just going on a walk." I said, opening the door.

"Hang on." Mum said. "I need you to do something for me quick."

"What?" I asked, well aware that I should probably leave as soon as I could.

"Can you put that load of washing out?" She asked, pointing at the washing machine that was full of wet clothes.

"Sure." I said, although knew I would have to hurry. I shoved the washing into the basket, and hastily ran out into the garden to hang it up. It probably wasn't my best work- the trousers hung wonky and some of the socks were inside out, but I guess I'd have to deal with mum's moaning later. For now, I quickly put the basket back.

"Bye!" I said quickly, and left before my mum could ask me to do anything else.

I ran out the back gate and down the bridle path, perhaps faster than humanly possibly, but I didn't pass anyone on the way. As soon as I entered the field at the end of the path, I let the lightning take over. Instead of exploding this time, however, it seemed as though my body had other plans. It completely fused with it, causing me to shoot up into the air as a bolt of lightning.

I floated in the clouds for a bit, well aware of the thunderstorm I seemed to have created. I looked down, seeing the cars below moving in slow motion. I then reached out across the clouds, my body following at impossible speeds. One moment I was in one spot, and the next I'd be miles away. It really was an effective way of travelling, except I knew that I'd end up paying for it later. Even during a Chaos episode, fusing with lightning used a huge amount of energy. Either I'd crash straight after, or when I went to bed, I'd sleep in until super late the next day.

When I was certain that my energy had depleted to a bearable level, and that there were no humans down below to see me appear, I shot back down to the earth.

For a moment, I was a little out of breath, and so stood there with my hands on my knees for a bit.

"Impressive." I heard a voice say behind me, and quickly turned around to see three people standing there- a man, with two women either side. I wasn't sure what to think at first. For a second, I feared that they were just ordinary people. I thought I'd need to call Ronan to wipe their memories. However, I then noticed the way the women held themselves. They stood with their hands behind their backs, their shoulders squared in an unearthly way. Their confidence was striking, and their beauty perhaps otherworldly.

The man in the middle also held himself well, although it wasn't surprising given the fact that he was stood between two Dreamwalkers. I'd take a guess that he was middle aged, although couldn't be sure. Both of his eyes were an unusual dark shade of grey, which had me questioning whether he was human or not.

I couldn't decide whether these people were a threat or not, so for now, I just made sure that I was ready for any action that might unfold whilst still remaining as calm as I could.