11

On the second day of freshers, I decided to go and visit the university, hoping that I'd bump into either David or Irina- or both- for a catch up.

It only took me ten minutes to walk the short distance from my flat to the uni grounds, and as soon as I went through the gates, I felt as though I should be on my way to class again. It was a strange feeling, and it saddened me a little to know that I wouldn't be coming back here for lessons or labs. I mean, I guess I could have taken a master's. I still could, if I wanted. But now that I had this new job, I felt sure that this was the direction I was supposed to be going in life.

It was a warm day- I was able to wear shorts and a t-shirt without looking out of place, and I knew that if it weren't for the ice or the fire, I'd be sweating by now. Either I could use the ice to keep me cool, or the fire to keep me immune from the heat- usually it was just the ice, as it came more naturally to me.

Walking through here, despite the fact that it had only been a few months since graduation, brought back many memories. It was here that I'd become an Argent Eye. It was here that I'd met David and Irina. Even Haydn started here, when he'd mysteriously appear in darkened corridors and make me question my sanity. Doctor Geralds and Fujio had both been defeated in these very grounds.

Everything had happened here. I wondered for a moment whether it was me who had brought them here, or if there was something else. Something special about this place. Maybe I'd been drawn to this university for some other unknown reason, as had Haydn and Doctor Geralds and Fujio. What I did know for certain was that it would be a long time before I'd be able to move away from here, if ever. My new life as an Argent was born and created here. Perhaps it would end here, too.

I reached the door to the university, and was about to step inside when I realised that I didn't have a student ID to show anymore. There was always someone sat at the front desk, waiting for you to show your card to them. If not, they didn't let you in. If you made enough of a fuss, they'd call security and have you escorted off the premises.

So, how was a girl with super powers supposed to get in?

I peeked my head round the doorway, looking for something- anything- that could let me in. I knew for a fact that if I could fuse with the air, I could easily get past this dude undetected. However, I hadn't been able to do that since my encounter with the afterlife. I wondered whether I'd ever be able to do it again.

So, seeing as that was out of the question, perhaps a distraction would be enough?

I eyed up the papers on the front desk, before conjuring a small but powerful enough gust of wind- I then sent it through the door and directly towards the pile of papers. Of course, the moment it made contact, all of the papers went flying in all different directions.

"Oh, bloody hell." The man at the desk muttered irritably, as the papers continued to float back down to the ground in a scattered mess.

I, meanwhile, decided to take it as an opportunity to get in. I ran towards the stairs, thinking that this guy was too busy picking up the papers to notice me-

"Um, excuse me." He said.

I stopped short, having almost made it. I turned to see him looking at me.

"Can I see your ID, please?" He asked.

Well, fuck.

I was just about ready to hang my head and leave, or maybe just run out of the door and hope that I wouldn't get chased, when a familiar voice sounded behind me.

"It's alright- she's with me."

I turned and saw Irina standing there, holding up her own ID card.