39

Lucky for me, this case was a long one and Aaron's been gone for exactly a week.

More than enough time.

Jack bounces in the backseat asking "What's the surprise" and I smile as I see his cute little face in my rearview mirror. "We're almost there...and when we get there you're going to help me make it really nice for Daddy." He nods happily as he stares out the window and I key in the code at the gate and wave to the gatekeeper.

We drive into the neighborhood and pull into the driveway of Aaron's surprise; the house  I closed on this morning.

Jack looks up at the house with wide eyes as I step out and go free him from the child locked door as he stares up at the house in awe. I take his hand and walk up to the front door throwing it open and telling him "I bought a house" making his mouth fall open dramatically.

"No way" he shouts and I chuckle as he looks around and I ask "Do you think Daddy will like it" and he nods so quickly I worry he might make his brain rattle. "I think he'll love it" he mentions and I smile widely hoping he's right.

"Okay, bud. You have to help me get everything ready for tonight."

#

Meet me at 1685 Windsor Court. Love ya! - Sandy

I adjust Jack's new bowtie; the purple one I got him yesterday as I hear a car pulling into the driveway and Jack hears it too. "Daddy's here" he announces and I nod as my nerves start making my hands tremble slightly and I puff out my cheeks to take a deep breath.

It's time.

Jack and I go to the door and step outside where Aaron looks around in confusion.

"Daddy" Jack greets his dad with a tight hug as I walk over to him and plant a soft kiss on his lips "Hi, Daddy" I giggle and Aaron's cheeks turn a slight shade of pink.

"What is this" Aaron asks and Jack takes both our hands saying "Let's go inside! I'll show you" as he tugs with all his might to get us into the house. Aaron looks at me with a raised eyebrow as we cross the stone porch and step into the foyer of the house.

"Do you like it, Daddy" asks Jack practically jumping in excitement and Aaron looks around in admiration but also complete confusion. "I do like it, bud. Who's house is this" he asks and Jack practically screams "Ours" making my muscles tense as I wait for Aaron's reaction.

He looks straight at me and I take a step towards him with a hopeful grin on my face. "It can be...if you want it to be" I offer and Aaron's face twitches slightly as he tries to organize his thoughts and I take his hand in both of mine.

"Sandy..." he starts but I stop him and mention "I left your question unanswered last week, not because I wanted to say no, but because I wanted to give you a counteroffer." His mouth falls open slightly and I chew on my lip as I explain "It's in Jack's same school district, so he won't have to go through a move and it's a very safe neighborhood. Great for families; the moms take turns carpooling and there are tons of community events. And...it has more room."

I lower my voice with that last part.

He raises an eyebrow as his mouth opens for him to say something, but he shuts it once again and his eyes scan the first floor of the house.

Aaron, you're stressing me out.

His eyes come back to mine and he looks at Jack who watches him expectantly and he just asks me "Why would we need more room" making my body tense up. "Just...to have our home offices and...it doesn't hurt" I try and explain, unconvincingly, but Aaron, being the profiler that he is, doesn't buy it.