19

"Dr. Reid" I answer 

Sandy Michel, from my team, exclaims over the phone and I jolt awake "Michel" I look at my clock and see that it's 1:47am.

Doyle escaped he tells me and I sit upright, wide awake, asking "What do you mean Doyle escaped" and he explains He disappeared. They can't find him anywhere. We're on our way now to offer some help.

Oh my god.

Emily.

"Okay...uh, okay..." I scramble out of bed and run to my closet to slide on a pair of boots "Keep me updated, Michel" I hang up and grab a coat before taking the gun that's holstered in the bench behind the door and heading out to Emily's.

#

I knock on the door to Emily's apartment, but there's no answer.

Now is not the time to be asleep, Emily.

I knock again, just a little harder.

Still no answer.

Okay, don't panic.

It's 2AM.

She's probably asleep.

Call her.

I grab my phone to call her and hear her own ringing in the apartment, but it stops quickly and I'm sent to voicemail.

"EMILY" I call through the door starting to panic just a little. "Emily, it's me! Open the door" I beg and I finally hear footsteps, but the door swings open and there's a gun in my face. "Emily" I gasp and she seems to relax upon seeing my face before looking down to see my gun holstered on my hip.

"You heard" she breathes before inviting me in and I see her vases on the very edge of her furniture before spotting the armchair at the end of the hall. "Are you out of your mind" I ask her and she sighs before locking the door carefully and following me into her apartment. "Doyle would shoot through the door first knowing you'd likely be waiting for him, you lunatic" I scold her and she just rolls her eyes before looking over my clothes "Wow, you really just got the call and drove straight here" she notices and I nod "Michel called."

We sit on her couch and the nerves are apparent on her face as I try and read her expression.

"Sean told me" she admits and I ask "How is he" but she just shakes her head "How are any of us" making me realize she's genuinely scared.

I haven't seen her like this.

Not since the last time we encountered Doyle.

"Well, only 5 more hours until you're safely inside FBI headquarters" I try and comfort her, but I can tell it doesn't work. she pales slightly and I wonder where her thoughts went to. "Hey" I wrap my arms around her and she just leans into it as I comfort "We got him before, we'll get him again" and I feel her nod on my shoulder before offering "How about you come stay at my place? It's not in the database and I don't have a personalized answering machine."

She shakes her head "I'm not running" and I look her in the eyes "Emily, it's better than staying here. Up all night just waiting for him to come to you" making her lift up her head and avoid my eyes nervously.

"He actually...already made contact" she explains and I freeze as she goes to grab a flower from her side table.

"That's it. Pack a bag. You're coming with me" I order and she starts to protest but I give her a look that shuts her up and she nods going to pack a bag. She comes back with a bag over her shoulder and a cat in her hand "Um...who's this" I ask in confusion and she mentions "Sergio. I can't just leave him here" so I huff with a nod and get up off the couch.

"Let's go" I order as we head out and back down to my car "If you want privacy I can go stay with Spencer" I mention knowing how Emily and I are about sharing our spaces. She chuckles as she chucks her bag into the backseat of my car and holds Sergio close to her as she takes a seat and nods "Thank you."

I nod as we speed off towards my apartment and I try to think of anything to say to Spencer that'll explain why I'm staying with him for a while.

He'll ask too much.

I could just get a hotel.

Somewhere close in case Emily needs any help.

Spencer's place is about as close as it gets.

Ugh, but Spencer's also a bit picky with sharing spaces.

Hotel, it is.

We pull up to my building's parking garage and I enter my keycode to be let in before finding a spot and stepping out with Emily and Sergio. "Here, come this way" I urge her to the back of the building where the elevators for residents are; I insert my key card and press the 30th floor to take us up.

"I trust Christian with my life...just not with yours" I explain myself as we wait for the elevator to reach my floor and she nods understanding.

The elevator doors open and we step into the hallway before going straight to the door of my apartment where Emily lets Sergio roam and I go to my room to pack a bag as Emily slumps into my bean bag. "Actually, can you stay" she asks and I poke my head out of my closet nodding as I see her puppy eyes pleading. "Of course" I comfort her saying "I'll just pull out the couch" and she makes a face "We can just share the bed. I barely move in my sleep" but I laugh explaining "I move a lot."

She laughs and I release a breath as I see her more at ease than she was at her own place and I hop onto the bed. "I don't think I'll be getting much sleep" she admits and I bounce on the mattress "Well, good for you. I never sleep" I laugh and she joins me on the bed.

"Tell me about Hotch" she pleads and I roll my eyes but she gives me the puppy dog eyes again. "Oh, alright" I give in and she giggles in excitement waiting for the details of my lascivious affair with Aaron Hotchner.