27

The landline rings.

"Hey Christian" I answer and he greets Hey, Doc. You've got some guests making me wonder who could be here that isn't on my list. "Who" I ask and he pauses for a second to get their names before coming back to the phone Derek Morgan and Penelope Garcia.

Huh?

"Uh...yeah send them up" I say hesitantly before putting the phone back on it's router and going to my door to wait for Derek and Penelope.

They've never come to see me together before.

Separately, yes.

Penelope makes killer Bloody Mary's, but Derek's only come to my apartment once and that was for the Arabietti case.

The elevator dings and I watch the doors open with them standing in the elevator each holding messenger bags with their laptops and other folders and papers in them. "Uh come in" I offer and they nod as they pass me both with furrowed eyebrows and worried looks on their faces.

I shut the door behind us and offer them a seat in my living room "Would you like something to drink" I ask but they shake their heads and I nod before crossing my arms over my chest and asking "Not that I don't enjoy the company, but...why are you here?"

They exchange a glance and Penelope blurts "We think you know where Declan is" making my blood run cold as they gauge my reaction and I open my mouth to ask something but millions of questions run through my mind and I don't even know where to begin.

"Declan" I whisper remembering the sweet little boy.

"Emily would have had to hide him with someone she trusted. Someone local. A contact she had that offered her the resources she would need to give him a brand new identity that couldn't be traced so easily" Morgan explains further and I scoff as I question "And my name was first on your list?"

Penelope nods with an apologetic smile and I just sigh.

Hang on a second.

Why is it just the two of them here?

Spencer hasn't brought it up. Neither has Aaron.

"What are you guys up to" I ask them suspiciously and Penelope gulps but Derek keeps a straight face to not reveal absolutely anything. Derek stands and tells me "Before we tell you anything, we need to know that we can trust you" making my eyebrows raise.

Ha. I scoff at the sentence. "What, like, I'm supposed to prove myself to you" I ask sarcastically, but when I look at Derek's face he seems completely serious. "Look, if you came to see me, that must mean you already know you can trust me. Shouldn't I be the one wondering if I can trust you with any information I may or may not have?"

Penelope tugs on Derek's arm and whispers "She's got a point, hon" but Derek firm stance remains and I don't back down.

Are you kidding me?

"Tell us where Declan is" he orders but I step forward, into his face, and demand "Tell me what you have."

Penelope's eyes dart between the two of us before she stands up and pushes us away from each other.

Derek and I get along well because our personalities are almost identical, until it comes down to who's the alpha and we just clash. He's a natural born leader. I clawed my way to get to where I am. Neither of us is ever willing to give up our positions.

"Okay, okay" Penelope breathes as she goes into her messenger bag and starts pulling out tons of folders and she looks up at me explaining "We're looking for Doyle."