Chapter 52

Mariko had a bad feeling about this mission. They'd arrived on schedule for the meeting with the informant, which wasn't easy given the fact that the helicopter hadn't actually dropped them off in North Korea (they were left in international waters and provided a dingy to row all the way up to the shore.) Despite making the effort of rowing and sneaking around the country for 8 hours to make it to the designated meeting place, their contact never showed up. The only thing they got was a text from a burner phone telling them it wasn't safe for him to come anymore and they could meet up some other day. Now, they were hiding out in some random in at a countryside village praying no one detected their Japanese accents when they spoke.

"Are you sure this guy's legit? What if he's just planning on handing us over to her?" she asked Hayato.

The blonde sighed tiredly. "It's always hard to tell what their agendas are when they go rogue. He seemed like he was telling the truth."

Mariko nodded. She knew it was always a 50/50 chance with "ex-villains," and Hayato was pretty good in getting viable informants, she was just frustrated because the longer the mission took, the longer she was away from home and a certain blonde hero.

It took three days just for them to set up another meeting place. At least this time it was at the edge of the village they were currently residing in and wouldn't need to travel far.

"Mariko, you're with Hayato. I'll be running comms and surveillance," Araya said, tucking a gun into the back of his pants.

"Yes sir," she answered automatically, grabbing a handgun, and shoving it into her waistbands. Villains tend to get scared off when they see officers carry weapons, so it was always better to air on the side of caution and keep any guns or knives out of sight.

The trio drove to the edge of the city in a black van son "friends" had given them when they reached a checkpoint. The address they were given was of an empty field of mostly dying grass as it was now late autumn. They were surrounded by rolling hills on all sides. Mariko frowned. "Our position isn't ideal if there's an attack. We're sitting ducks right now," she observed.

They waited for hours, and just when they were about to leave and give up, a man appeared out of nowhere. Mariko instinctively got into a fighting stance and assessed him. He was tall, but not all that fit. It was easy to tell he spent most of his time sitting down. That didn't mean he wasn't strong though; he could have an extremely powerful quirk for all she knew.

"Which one of you is Hayato?" he asked them.

"Me. You're Lucky?" he asked, referring to the villain's alias.

The male nodded.

"Glad you could make it. What can you tell us? I know our time's limited."

He nodded, but before speaking, he turned towards Mariko. "Who's she?" he asked warily.

"She's with me," Hayato assured him.

The villain sighed annoyedly. "Fine. Whatever. What do you want to know?" he asked.

"Where is Shimizu's base?" he asked.

"I don't know. Somewhere in Northern Japan? I'm just a mule. I don't even know what I carry. I just get the delivers here and take them to a village on the coast. A boat comes by once a week to pick everything up," Lucky explained.

"Do you know the name of anyone on the boat?"

It's all code names. I hard the captain is a real nasty bastard though," he commented.

"Alright. Can you describe the boat? What town do you leave the supplies in?"

"Kosong," he replied. "The boats're just regular white fishing boats. They sneak the goods in with the fish. Only way to tell the difference between the boxes is the type of wood they're made of.

"Can you take us there?" Mariko asked.

The man's eyes widened. "Are you crazy? Bring foreigners into a border town? I could get killed for that!" he exclaimed.

"We'll pay," Hayato offered.

He stopped. "How much?" he asked warily.

"Five hundred for each of us you get there safely and an additional thousand if nothing goes wrong while we're there," he told him.

Luck looked at the ground, contemplating the proposition before he nodded slowly. "Another delivery's gonna be made four days from now. Meet me by the main highway going south from the city at four a.m." he instructed. "I won't wait if you guys are there late."

Hayato nodded, "We'll be there."