Chapter 34

(Above pic is Hayato)

As promised, Hayato was at the hospital first thing in the morning with a to-go box of waffles in his hands.

"'Morning M," he greeted, waltzing into the room.

Mariko was already awake, fiddling around with her phone. "Did you bring the food?" she asked looking up at him.

Hayato laughed and placed the Styrofoam box in her lap. "A plate full of waffles for the lovely lady. You sure you can eat with that bug though?"

She nodded. She'd always had a very good immune system thanks to her quirk and tended to get over these things quickly.

"Why don't you tell me why you really came, Hayato," she said. She knew that Hayato wouldn't have come all the way to the hospital just to check up on her when she had a stomach bug. There was something else going on.

The blonde flashed a side-ways smile, "Nothing ever gets past you does it?"

"Too dangerous to allow that. Now, spill," she said, stabbing at a piece of waffle.

"What... do you know if Mineko ever hinted at having a partner?" he asked carefully.

Mariko stilled for a moment; her fork suspended halfway to her mouth. "No," she answered, setting the utensil back on her plate. "She never said anything like that."

"Are you sure?" he asked.

She narrowed her eyes at him, "Yes. Why?"

Hayato sighed, "A prison rumor started circulating that some girl named Taniko Baisho was her partner back then. The general sent me to look into it," he admitted

"If she had a partner, that means we might've missed half the operation. Do you know how long she's been in prison?"

"No, I'm going this afternoon to get her personnel files and look through them. I'm gonna interview her later this week."

Mariko nodded slowly, "You'll tell me if anything comes up, right?" she asked.

"Of course. I can't keep anything from my superiors," he answered.

The brunette cracked a small smile, "I'm not your superior anymore," she told him.

"You'll always be team captain to me."

She laughed slightly, "Thanks I guess."