Chapter 65: The Underdogs

Start from the beginning

Midas was looking dejected at the back of the group, feeling rather sorry for himself. Kaiyo noticed, and glanced at him. "What's wrong?"

He knew she was talking to him, but wasn't really sure how to respond. If he said something she didn't like, would she kill him? They were still rather new, they didn't know if Kaiyo had any secret intentions or if she was truly heartless.

"I..." He started, brushing a hand through his blonde hair, looking at the floor. He couldn't seem to make eye contact with Kaiyo. "I couldn't do anything during that fight, even if I wanted to. I know you didn't need the help but... What am I going to do? Walk up and touch them?

My quirk sucks for fights like this, almost all the time, our enemies will have quirks that outrange mine. I just feel... Useless. I don't feel that I deserve to be with such an elite group."

Kaiyo stared blankly at him for a moment, as if she couldn't tell he was being serious. She came to her senses after a second or two, and replied, "We're called the Underdogs for a reason. Even if your quirk was useless, you'd be with us because you are an underdog.

But if you truly think your quirk is bad, then you simply need to improve it. Look at me, I'm still finding new ways to use my quirk every day. Just now I attacked every person in this room at once, and killed them all instantly. I didn't know I could do that until just now.

You need an upgrade. You turn whatever you touch into pyrite, correct? What else?" Kaiyo asked him.

Midas thought for a moment, before taking off his glove. He touched the wall, which slowly turned to pyrite. It spread from his palm, travelling outwards at a slow pace, taking a good five seconds to turn the entire wall into pyrite.

"It's not even fast enough, I'd have to touch someone who was slow to do any sort of harm..."

Kaiyo's eyes shined as she suddenly thought of something. "Midas. Stretch your hand out, palm outwards."

He did as he was told, and she continued. "Focus really hard. You turn anything you touch into pyrite without control. Now actually try to turn it into pyrite."

Midas looked confused, "Turn... What into pyrite?"

"The air particles! If your quirk works at a molecular level, and has some sort of automation to it, you could train yourself to manipulate it and solidify the air in front of you!

Think about it, if you really have no control over your quirk, like Shigaraki, you'd have encased your hands in pyrite years ago. You'd also have turned yourself into gold when using the bathroom.

You say you have no control, but subconsciously you do. Just try to make it conscious, focus, concentrate, turn the air in front of you into pyrite."

Midas turned his attention to his outstretched hand, and the air in front of it. It wasn't something he'd tried before, but why would he? It sounded silly, but in theory, it was a solid idea.

After a few moments of idling in silence, he noticed something. Kaiyo smiled widely as pyrite formed in front of Midas's hand. Midas gasped and chuckled a little excitedly.

"I'm doing it! I'm... Doing something!" Midas said.

"Now move your hand around. I hope you're a good artist, try to make... A sword!" Kaiyo suggested.

Slowly, Midas dragged his hand down, curving it and making a pretty ugly handle. It wasn't fancy, but it was a sword! Midas produced a sword out of thin air made out of pyrite, which is a little tougher than iron by the way.

"Guys! Look! I did it! I made a sword with my quirk!" Midas said excitedly, beckoning everyone to look at his creation. He was ecstatic.

"I'd hardly call it a work of art but it'll do the job for sure!" Tendon Springs said.