Chapter 24: Alpha

Despite meeting this new villain being a big part of my day, it wasn't over yet, not even close. However, it was only going to get better rather than, you know, more near death situations and red tape.

I'd kept to myself after the incident, hoping no one would stop me, in fact I just teleported the rest of the way so that no one could stop me even if they tried. I went inside the hospital and to the receptionist.

I asked to see Alpha, and she looked a little upset. She told me to talk to her doctor, Doctor Steed, as she didn't have the heart to say it to my face. Confused, I walked down the corridor she directed me to, and I saw Doctor Steed.

"Is... Alpha okay?" I asked, straight to the point.

The doctor's at first neutral expression turned into one of sorrow as he looked down and closed his eyes for a moment, taking a breath before answering me.

"Alpha... Passed away this morning..." The man sounded heartbroken, as if he'd known her all her life. "I'm sorry."

"What? No, that can't be true, she can regenerate, she can't have died... How is she, really?" I was starting to hyperventilate as I panicked a little.

"It's really hard for me, too, but please, calm down, you're starting to hyperventilate which means-"

"No, no way, it isn't true, she's a trooper, she can power through anything!" I ignored the doctor and teleported past him, just before the door to Alpha's room.

I pulled the handle and threw the door open, running in to see... All Might and Alpha... Cuddling? I stared in disbelief, my eyesight locked on them.

"Alex!" She called out to me. We locked eyes for a few moments as she and All Might broke apart, All Might getting off the bed and walking towards the door, announcing he was getting Alpha something to eat.

"Don't take too long now." She said to him, giggling, as he left and closed the door behind him. "Alex, before we talk-"

She had started, but I cut her off, suddenly pouring myself out. "I'm sorry I couldn't save you... I should've just done what you said and not gone back, if I didn't you wouldn't have..."

I couldn't finish my sentence, though Alpha responded to me by saying, "Alex, it's not your fault at all. I normally don't get distracted that easily... But... When you came back, your energy reminded me of someone that I was close to when I was younger.

I had to see if it was him... when I looked up and saw you... All For One took advantage of that... I let myself believe in something that wasn't possible... I should have known better than to make a promise, knowing that I failed the last one."

She looked down, and continued, "I should be the one apologising. I failed not only you but the whole world as well... Everyone on the planet had to see me get distracted and pay the consequences for it...

I promised that I wouldn't let anyone worry about me. I would be there to comfort and protect others... I should have known better than to make a promise that I couldn't keep" Tears started to form in her eyes. "I'm sorry that you had to see me at my weakest... And you..."

"You had to see such a horrifying thing. Watch someone dying realising..." Her voice kept cracking. "...And realising that all you could do is watch as they bleed out to death. ... As their breath comes to a halt... You call out their name, hoping that they will come back, not wanting to let them go... I'm so sorry you had to experience that first hand."

At that point, I knew that something had happened to her in her past. I decided to try my luck and asked her if it had or not. She then started to relate to me a story from her childhood, around the time she was four, and it was truly horrific. At the end of our conversation, I promised her I wouldn't tell anyone about it.