Chapter 23

Aubrey POV

The next few days went by in a blur.  Alessandro would not let me out of his sight. He stayed home for a few days, then he had to go to the office and when he did, he wouldn't allow me to leave his home without him. I actually haven't left his home. I basically lived with him in his bedroom. They even moved all my stuff into his room.

I was feeling so much better. I was going in next week for some x rays on my broken arm.

I tried to convince Alessandro to let me go to work, but he would not let me.

Matteo would come and keep me company while Alessandro was away. I was so bored.

I called Sandy a few times. I didn't tell her the whole story, which was killing me, but I didn't want to worry her.

I was taking a nap and I felt someone lie next to me. I felt Alessandro put his arms around me and cuddle with me.

"Hey. You're finally home. How was work today?" I asked. I had my back to him.

"Sorry I didn't mean to wake you up. I just really missed you" he said smelling my hair. "Work was work" he said.

I turned around to look at him. He looked tired. "Is everything ok?" I asked him.

"Everything is fine Love." He said and kissed my forehead.

"Are your sure" I asked again.

"Yes." It was so hard to get this man to talk.

I sighed and let it go. I wanted to talk about something else. "Alessandro I need to go back to work" I got straight to the point.

"No" was his answer.

I untangled myself from him and sat up on the bed. "Alessandro you can't keep me locked up here forever. I came to help with the clinic. I know it's up and running but there are still a few details I want to work on, and I miss the children." I said.

He sat up and started to kiss my neck. "If you want children, I can give you as many as you want" he said as he continued to kiss my neck.

I shivered but got the strength to push him away "you know what I mean Alessandro. I'm not going to sit around here and do nothing." I said.

Alessandro made a face "Aubrey you're still recovering and you still have a cast and..."

"Alessandro, I'm a Doctor. Trust me. I know I'm fine and I can work with the cast. So no more excuses. I'm going to work and that's final. I'm not staying home anymore. I'm going to work as of tomorrow" I said.

He sighed and looked away and closed his eyes. He finally turned to look at me. "Fine but from now own you're going to have your own security team. You are not to leave their sight. They are going to be with you 24/7. I mean it Audrey. You can't fight me on this. I can't let anything happen to you." He said looking deeply into my eyes.

I knew that was the only way he would agree for me to go back to work. "Ok" I said and smiled at him and then kissed him.

I woke up the next day and got ready to go back to work. Alessandro had to leave early but before he left he reminded me that I always had to have the security team with me.

That was going to be a pain in the butt. I got to the clinic and checked on everything. I decided that tomorrow I would head out with one of the mobile units. Today I wanted to check on everything in the clinic.

I got home and I was so happy to be working again.

The next day I headed out with the mobile unit. I was giving consultation to the pediatric patients. The next patient walked in and i felt like I knew the boy and his mom.

Then it came to me. The boy once told me something but I forgot what that something was. His mother got mad when the boy said it. I had to make an excuse for her to leave the rom so I could ask the kid again.

I gave her a prescription and said to go outside and get it, so I can explain how to give it to the boy.

When she left I asked the kid "hey buddy. I have a question. What did you tell me to thank last time?" I asked him.

"I can't say that. My mom will get mad if I do" he said.

"Please tell me. I promise not to tell and I'll give you this" I said handing him a Lollipop.

"Ok, I'll tell you. I said to thank the cosa nostra" he said.

"What's Cosa Nostra?" I asked the boy.

"We're not supposed to talk about it?" He said.

"Why?" I asked him.

"Because it would make the Don mad and nobody wants that" just then his mother walked in. I explained how he had to take his medication and said goodbye.

Once I finished all my consultations , I pulled out my phone. I typed in Cosa Nostra.

Two words immediately popped out "Italian Mafia".

No that can't be right. No. No. No. Then flashbacks came back to me. The bullet injury's Alessandro and Matteo has. The fear everyone had when Alessandro walked into a room. My abduction. His "business" , he never really tells me what he does. It's always vague. All his meetings. Then the boy said Don. I've only ever heard that in movies. Isn't that like leader of mafia or something?

All theses things kept popping into my head. This can't be right. No it can't be.

I shook my head. No this had to be wrong. This couldn't be right.

How could I know if this was true. If the little boy told the truth, people would be scared to talk about it.

I don't know how, but I need to find out if this is true or not. Is Alessandro a mafia member?