Reunion

As much as Logan had anticipated seeing MJ Billings again, he did not expect it to be so soon, especially after their last conversation on the phone. He was convinced that it would take months and a miracle for her to make another stop in Cape Town, and he was okay with that.

He knew she was back over a week ago, but thought it best to stay out of the way, because he feared that she would catch on to the guilt in his eyes.

The day she walked into his office with Sonya marked a beginning of a new era in his life, one too many times he was convinced that perhaps they could look past their differences and their past and start afresh, he believed they could be happy. But as long as their issues remained unresolved, they would never move forward.

It was even worse now with the mess his sister got him into, not to mention that he led to Jorge's attack.

He could see that it was taking a toll on her, and telling her the truth would only make things worse.

Lunch was not going quite as had expected. It took him a while to come to terms with it, but they were strangers and they had reached a point in their lives where nothing that ever happened between them mattered. Nothing mattered.

Logan invited MJ to have lunch with him at Five Stars, under the guise that he had something important to tell her, but it did not seem like she cared; MJ seemed to be so deep in thought that she barely touched her food or drink, and she barely acknowledged his presence.

"Are you okay?" Logan asked for the millionth time, but she did not respond.

He doubted that she even heard him. "MJ?" Her eyes snapped up at him, and she stared at him in confusion. She shook her head and cleared her throat, suddenly looking alive. Logan sighed and leaned back on his chair. "Look, there's something I need to tell you," he said, hoping that he was not making a mistake.

"Is it that important?" MJ prompted, and Logan nodded. "Whatever it is, it's gonna have to wait. I have something important to tell you, it's about Jorge."

Logan tensed, but luckily, MJ was too busy drinking her tea to notice anything. "Uhm... Jorge?"

She nodded. "I think I might know who shot him."

"You do?"

"I'm not quite sure yet, but I'm convinced that it might be someone of higher ranking, perhaps a politician or someone with ties to politics."

Logan chuckled nervously, this was bad. "How could you be so sure? Why would a politician want to kill Jorge?" He asked, although he already knew the answer.

MJ shrugged. "I don't know," she stated, looking at him pointedly. "I was hoping you could tell me."

Logan gulped, suddenly regretting his decision to come here. "Why me?"

"You are his best friend, and I know he tells you everything. I want to know if he said anything to you, was Jorge involved in any shady dealings?"

"I-" he shook his head and shrugged simultaneously. MJ frowned and narrowed her eyes at him, but he was saved from her scrutiny by both their phones ringing.

MJ took out her phone and excused herself. "I have to take this, it's the detective."

Logan nodded and waited until she left before checking his phone. It was David Botha calling him, and it appeared that he left a bunch of messages. His phone blared up again, but before he could answer, MJ returned, he hung up and put his phone away. "Is everything okay?" He asked as MJ took her seat.