Redemption

Why wouldn’t everyone just leave her alone?

It was not like she committed a murder; it was only fraud and tax invasion.

Knock, knock, knock!

"Why are people always banging on my door?!" She groaned as she climbed out of bed.

She switched on the side lamp and put on her gown, and then she wore her sleepers and strode out of the room.

It was past midnight and someone was knocking at her door. Considering everything that she went through, one would expect her to be careful with who she let in, but to no avail. She switched on the dining room light, and opened the door while rubbing her eyes.

She had spent her day staring at her laptop since she came back from the office. Her boxes from the office were still sitting on the floor next to the door.

She had been checking her social media accounts. The things people were saying about her were bad.

People were speaking as if they knew her. She had read over twenty articles that were written on her, fifteen that were mainly about Billings Corporations.

Jorge was right; her scandal was costing the company a lot of money. She could still see the looks everyone in the office was giving her when Anita escorted her out of the building.

When Anita said she would drive her home, someone made a comment about how it was possible to earn so much money and not be able to afford her own car.

Someone cleared their throat, and she looked up, the image in front of her freezing her on the spot. She had expected it to be Anita; but instead, her entire family was standing outside her door.

Her eyes scanned the faces in front of her. Her father looked tired, her mother looked angry, the others just looked…indifferent, well, at least the twins were. Her brother and his wife looked worried.

Behind them all stood the couple of the century; Javier Mendoza and Danielle Grayson-Mendoza in their full glory, and they rather looked proud than anything. “Can we come in?” Brianna asked, and Samantha stepped aside so that they could get in.

Everyone got inside and she had the urge to slam the door in Javier and Danielle’s faces. “Why do people think I’m dead?” Her mother threw her handbag on the couch and turned to Samantha.

“Meryl.” Paul warned.

“Which one are you referring to? The fraud or mom?” Danielle asked with a smirk and her father shot her a glare.

“Samantha, come here.” Paul patted on the empty space next to him on the couch, and Samantha joined him. He took her hands in his and looked into her eyes. “I’m sorry this is happening to you. Now more than ever, I wish I’d made you get rid of the two ID’s when I found out.” Her father said.

“You knew?” Adam asked. “Dad, all this time you knew and you did not say anything?” He shouted and Brianna held his hand to calm him down.

“Well, you know your sister is not exactly a good listener. I tried to get her to destroy the other ID’s.” Brianna said cautiously and Adam jerked away from her. All eyes were on her now. Her mother-in-law’s stare was burning into her. Before her husband could say anything, she quickly added, “I overheard her and dad talking and I confronted them about it, but they made me swear to keep it a secret.”

Meryl, the mother-in-law, snorted. Adam sighed and crossed his arms. “I don’t get it though, and whoever did this was clearly trying to get back at you. Who could have done this? I don’t know you to have any enemies.” He said while looking at Samantha.