Day One

"Long night?" Blair asked, standing against the kitchen counter while sipping on coffee.

MJ was seated on the couch with her face buried in her hands. She was still in the red suit from the previous day, now wrinkled and stained with makeup. Her hair which was previously tied into a neat bun was now loose and messy like a cave woman. She looked exhausted from the dramatic night she had.

Blair sighed and placed her mug down. "Listen, uhm...About last night, I might have been a bit harsh on you. What do you say we start on a new slate?"

MJ lifted her head with a deep breath. "Blair, I–"

"How about you take a shower first, I still have some of your clothes from your previous visits. I'll prepare breakfast while you shower." She did not leave any room for argument. Knowing MJ, she was most likely going to turn down her offer because she was afraid to confront her issues.

After the sleepless night she had, Blair had some food for thought this morning. In all the years she had known MJ, this was the lowest and worst she had seen her.

Whoever said money was the solution to all problems in the world had really lost their mind. If money really solved issues, MJ Billings would not be sitting here right now, not after all the money she spent session after session for years. If anything, she seemed to be getting worse by the day.

Blair prepared some French toast and scrambled eggs, with strong black tea. MJ would definitely need it for the conversation they were about to have.

After about an hour, MJ walked into the kitchen wearing an ankle-length summer dress, her hair tied up into a neat bun once more. "Breakfast is ready." MJ nodded wordlessly as she plopped down on the plush chair and dug into her food.

Blair watched as she ate as if she had not eaten in a long time. She wanted to ask her when was the last time she ate, but before she could voice out her thoughts, MJ spoke. "Thank you for letting me stay, and for staying with me all night," she said quietly, staring down at her empty plate. "I know I'm the last person you want to see and I don't blame you, I've–" Blair held her hand to stop her from talking any further.

"Finish up your tea and meet me in my office," she said with a welcoming smile.

"But–"

"MJ, forget about everything else, my license and the apologies can wait," She said before she left for her in-house office.

If there was one thing she knew MJ did best was running away from her problems, she avoided confronting her issues at all costs, and getting her to sit in on a session had always been a challenge.

Blair sat in her office for quite some time before MJ showed up. She had designed her office in such a way that anyone who came in could be comfortable and free in their thoughts.

The top half was painted in light grey and a sliver of dark grey at the bottom, and the flower pots provided a more natural environment.

She blended the tone of the room with colourful furniture pieces and paintings on the walls. Finishing up her strategy with a sliding glass door that gave an overview of the rose garden on the balcony.

She had not been in here herself in a long time, and realised that she had needed a taste of her own reverse psychology; the entire space gave her a peace of mind. She was so nervous it felt as though she was doing her practical again, and she was waiting in a room as if she had just been told that she was about to see her first ever patient.

She wiped her sweaty palms on her grey sweater and then got up to stand on the balcony, overlooking the city. She had done this so many times before, but why was she feeling like this?