The Good Mother

Her hips swayed from side to side as she hummed to the love jam by Amanda Black playing in the background.
It was a good morning. In fact, the best one she had ever had in a while.
It felt like a brand new beginning for her, like she was given a second chance to make things right.
Last night was a great start. She felt her cheeks burn at the thought, her cheekbones were even hurting from smiling nonstop.
She could still feel his arms around her,  her body moulding into his like hot magma, his voice whispering sweet nothings in her ear.
It was magical and full of love, it was a true reminder of their wedding night and every night that followed before their relationship went through an ice age.
She remembered how Sonya used to preach about how sex was an important aspect in every relationship, that it was a way of connecting to one spiritually, she had this theory about how the bond that you create with someone once you give them your body was unbreakable.
But Lola had lived through it, and she knew that was not as close to being true as it seemed.
Her marriage had never been perfect, in fact, she and David were the last people anyone should ever ask for marriage advice.
Their union was rocky for as long as she could remember, and when that happened, she turned to Logan for comfort. It was one bad night and they were both in bad space, and then one thing led to another, and that night was a mistake; but eventually, that mistake turned into something they were willing to commit time and again.
She did not love Logan, but she enjoyed having sex with him because he was exploring, it was all fun.
On the other hand, she loved her husband, but all these years of hardships had actually paralyzed their marriage to the point where even their sex life was no fun.
However, last night, last night was different. Maybe things were getting better, or maybe it was because Logan had completely cut her off and she had nowhere else to turn to.
"It smells good in here, and I don't just mean the food." A deep voice came from behind, and she had to refrain from jumping up in excitement like a kid.
Her mother-in-law and aunt-in-law were in the house, and the former was throwing her with daggers for eyes.
Lola had decided to take charge for the day, she had woken up to get her two daughters ready for school, and then she started preparing breakfast and their lunch boxes.
Lola laughed and shook her head at his comment. "Of course you would say that." She smiled.
He put his arm around her and pulled her against his chest, and then he sniffed on her hair. "I'm serious," he murmured against her head. "You smell so good."
"You too." She tilted her head and snuggled her head on his big chest, getting lost in the moment. 
They stood like that for a while, just comfortable in each other's embrace.
David chuckled after some time. "You are burning the patties."
She cusses under her breath and pulled away from him. "It's all your fault. I was doing fine until you got here." She quickly removed the patties from the pan and then she turned in his direction. "Honey, when was the last time you saw Shannon? I went to check on her this morning, but her bed was made. I don't think she slept at home." David scoffed as if telling her that he had told her so. "Seriously, David. I'm worried about her."
"You said it yourself, she's a big girl, I'm sure she can take care of herself," he said nonchalantly, and her heart sank, her face must have betrayed her, because his eyes softened and he placed a tender kiss on her forehead. "Hey, I'm sure she's okay wherever she is." Lola nodded although she was not convinced. "Let me go and take a shower so that I can drop the kids off at school."
He walked out of the kitchen, and Lola finished preparing the kids' lunch boxes. She had just finished preparing breakfast when her mother-in-law walked into the kitchen.
"Kids, breakfast is ready!" She yelled.
"What do you think you are doing?" Lilian asked.
Lola raised an eyebrow at her. "Mom, what do you mean?" She asked, confused, but her next words threw her off.
"A one night stand and suddenly you think you are mother of the year," Lilian said bitterly. "Just a while ago, my son was prepared to be rid of you, but now all of a sudden you are playing happy family. You think waking up early in the morning to prepare breakfast and lunch for your kids makes you a great mother? Where were you all this time when your children needed you? We both know you were out there opening your legs for another man, because that's the only thing you are good for."
Lola was used to her mother-in-law's insults over the years, the woman had proven from day one that she was not a great fan of hers; she always believed that Lola was not a great choice for her son and she would find every opportunity to make it clear to her.
Lola had mastered the art of ignoring her and not letting Lillian get to her, and she always promised herself that she would never give her the satisfaction of seeing her cry.
Today, however, was different.
Maybe it was because she was telling the truth, but for whatever reason, Lola was in hot tears.
"Ma, that's enough!" David's voice came from somewhere in the room, she couldn't tell because her vision was blurred.
"David, son–"
She did not wait to hear the rest, her baby daughter's mew got her moving; she went to the bedroom and fed her, and by the time she was done, her other two daughters were ready for school. The eldest, Dawn, was twelve, while Denise was only eight.
"Mommy, are you okay?" Dawn asked when she noticed her mother's tearful eyes.
"Mommy looks sad," Denise chirped in, wiping Lola's face with her tiny hands.
Lola chuckled at the gesture. "I'm okay, babies. You are already late, don't keep Daddy waiting," she said with all the cheerfulness she could muster.
Denise ran to get her bag and then ran out of the room, however, Dawn remained still while shifting her weight from one foot to the other, she looked nervous. "Baby, what's wrong?" Lola asked worriedly.
She bit her lower lips. "Mommy."
"Mm hmm?"
"What grandma said..." Lola stilled for a second, and Dawn quickly added, "You are a great mom, and we love you!"
Tears rolled down her eyes, but this time it was not from pain, neither was it from joy, but there was something; she was relieved. "Thank you, baby. I love you too." Dawn relaxed and smiled brightly. "Now, hurry up before your dad changes his mind." She laughed and walked out of the room.
Lola finished burping the baby and then she put her to bed. She was about to go and shower when a commotion in the sitting room interrupted her.
She rushed out of the children's room and found David's estranged twin sister and Shannon in the house.
"Zoe?" She said, surprised, but once again, something caught her eyes. "Shannon, is that blood on your t-shirt? What happened to you?" She leaped forward like the mother hen she was and started checking the girl's head for any injuries.
"Lola, I'm fine," Shannon grumbled and pushed her hand away. "I just need to shower." She walked past her and left everyone in the sitting room.
All eyes turned to Zoe as she was the one that brought her back. "Care to explain?" David asked.
"She's fine, but I'm gonna need her to stop by the police station later for questioning," Zoe said.
"Questioning?" They all asked simultaneously.
"Jorge Billings was shot at his beach house, and Shannon and Kyle Davids found him," she clarified. "I just want to know what she saw, that's all."
"Is he okay?" Lola asked in panic.
"He was still in surgery when I left, we will know more by the end of today. I have to go, I'll see you guys later," Zoe said before she left.
"Honey, please take the kids to school. I'll go and find out what's going on!" Lola yelled as she rushed to the bathroom.
She had to find out what was happening, Logan must have been really devastated by the news.
And MJ Billing had to be on her way by now, she thought dreadfully.