Family Meeting

The tension in the room was unbearable. The two families that were once united, sat on opposite ends of the table, looks and harsh words thrown from both sides.

Kyle could not believe that just a few weeks ago, they were sharing a table and having dinner at his parents' house while going down memory lane and laughing.

Slurs and insults were being thrown around, and the longer they stayed, the worse things got.

Kyle looked at his watch for the nth time. It was 1p.m., and Jorge was still not here. He threw Sne a worried look, she did not want to be here as much as he did.

"Maybe I should call Jorge again to check how far he is," she said abruptly and stood up.

"Yeah, do that," Kyle agreed.

S’negugu picked her phone and left the boardroom, but not before sharing an anxious glance with Kyle.

"Tell me, boy," Mrs Khumalo started, and Kyle flinched visibly. "Don't you have any shame?" She asked.

"MaKhumalo–"

The woman turned to her husband with a fierce look. "These people hurt our daughter and humiliated her in public." Mr Khumalo shut his mouth. "And you, Cleopatra, do you support this kind of behavior?"

Kyle's mother scoffed, and he turned to her with pleading eyes. "How can you be so sure that your daughter is indeed not the infertile one?" She shot back.

"Mom!"

"What did you just say?" Mrs Khumalo pushed her chair back and stood up, and Mrs Davids followed.

"Kyle, I can't get of Jorge." He heard S’negugu say in the distance.

"You heard me. For all we know, your daughter could be barren!"

Everyone turned towards the door as the sound of something breaking reverberated in the spacious boardroom.

Kyle stared at Sne in panic. "Gugu–" she stormed off before he could say anything. He turned to his mother in pure anger. "Thank you very much, mom," he said venomously while standing up. "From now on, we are going to handle the divorce between the two of us, and we will decide what's best for the business–"

"Carlyle Davids," his father warned.

Kyle raised his hand defiantly. "Don't. The four of you are sitting in here and pointing fingers when you are the ones to blame. You forced us into this marriage without considering our feelings. I'd be damned if I let you guys drag us into your mess again."

He walked out of the boardroom before anyone of them could say anything. He was hoping to catch up to S’negugu, but she was long gone.

He could not believe Jorge stood them up, things would have been much better if he was here. Clearly he thought this was a joke, an expensive one at that. Where the hell was he?