Sisters

"Sash, I just got a call from Dumi; she says you resigned. Please tell me that she is lying or that at least you have a new job." Was the first thing that her older sister greeted her with, the moment she parked her car in the front yard.

Sasha sighed and walked past her sister, into the house. "Sasha-Lee, don't ignore me!"

Sasha rolled her eyes and threw her handbag and keys on the sofa before taking off her overcoat and boots; remaining in her jeans and polo neck sweater.

"Sasha!" The warning in her sister's voice made her pause in her actions.

She turned around to face her with an annoyed look on her face. "Demi, when you decided to quit your job at Parker's Enterprises, I did not interrogate you about the said job." She said and walked to the kitchen; her sister tailing her.

Demi stood against the doorway and crossed her arms, her usual overconfident and sassy look out of sight. She did not look like the same person who caused trouble at Parker's Enterprises anymore. The only thing that could be said about her right now, was that Demi Beda was only worried about her sister.

"Sis, I am not interrogating you; I'm just worried about you. I just don't want you to put your life in danger again with your obsession." She said warily, and Sasha froze at the reminder.

"Don't you think I know that?" She gritted. "If the nightmares are not enough to send the message, then I don't know anymore." Her body was stiff and yet, trembled with unshed anger and unmistakable fear.

Alarm bells signalled in Demi's head, to dismiss the topic, but she could not do it; they both knew that Sasha was putting her life at risk. "Which is the more reason why you should stop this." She whispered.

Sasha banged the fridge door and turned to face Demi with a pained expression on her face. She leaned against the kitchen counter, closed her eyes, and took in a sharp breath, clearly trying to control her emotions. "All the more reason I should do this." She threw the words right back at Demi. "I will not be free until I bring out father's murderers to light and clear his name."

"I know that." Demi sighed in exasperation. "I know." She whispered. "I just don't want history to repeat itself." She lumbered towards her sister with a heavy heart, and then squeezed her shoulder. "Go and take a, uhm...seat, so you can tell me about your day and your new job." She said with the hopes to cheer her up.

Sasha let out a heavy sigh and slowly walked to the sitting room, and then plopped down on the couch while Demi took out a carton of ice cream from the fridge.

She took two spoons from the drawer and joined Sasha in the sitting room. She placed the carton down on the coffee table and sat down. She cleared her throat and shifted uncomfortably. It was always like this between the two of them, they easily fell into uncomfortable silence and then had a difficult time dispensing the tension.

"Listen, I know you are still mad at me for quitting my job without warning, but Carmen complicated everything, and by the time I found out; it was too late."

Sasha's interest piqued. "Found out what?" She asked, sitting up straight.

"Carmen was never pregnant; she lied about everything, and then also faked her engagement to Logan, and he only played along because he believed she was pregnant."

The contemptuous look on Sasha's face disappeared, and in its place settled excitement, curiosity, and glimmer. "Oh, really?" She wondered. "Maybe I should pay Mr Parker a visit." She said thoughtfully.

"Let's not get off topic, Sasha."

"Oh, yeah!" She blinked, her satisfied smile unwavering. "You were saying Carmen complicated things and?"

"Sis, Carmen is my best friend, and I spent a lot of time with her during the said pregnancy, and we spent his money, drank his expensive wine, I even broke his vase this one time I was at his house." She blabbed, and then took in a deep breath.

"So, you think he thinks you knew all the time?" Demi nodded. "Well, did you?"

"NO!" She shrieked like she was being pierced with a million needles.

Sasha raised a question eyebrow at her. "Then why did you quit?"

"How could you ask me that? You know me better than anyone!"

"But the prosecutor doesn't know you." Sasha challenged, and Demi stilled.

"What are you talking about? We are not in court." She said.

"Well..." Sasha picked up the ice cream and spoons, tossing one at her sister before opening the carton. "You better pray that Logan doesn't take your modelling ass to court for breach of contract."

Demi sighed and grabbed the carton from Sasha's hands before disposing of the lid. She plunged a spoonful of the frozen dessert from the container and drippled it into her mouth. "I hope so too."

Sasha moaned as the cream tickled her tongue. "Hope is nothing without prayer, sis; that's what father always said."

Demi nodded silently. "Enough about me, tell me about your new job; what is the occupation and when do you start?"

Sasha shifted in her seat, suddenly feeling uncomfortable about sharing information about her new job. She did not know what exactly to label her position as, after all, it was a spur of the moment decision.

She had never gotten an opportunity like this before. She had never had the privilege to work close with one of the world's renowned people. She had heard about MJ Billings from her good friend and sister, Demi, who happened to dislike the new PA, and from there forth, she dug up to where her spade could reach.

MJ was a bad person, and Sasha had a taste for bad people; but her sister did not share the same sentiments. How exactly would she tell her that she was to work for the woman who ruined someone's face?

"I was supposed to start today, but I couldn't do it without resigning from Endabeni."

Demi frowned at her. "Are you sure that was a wise decision? I mean, you weren't obliged to resign from your previous job today." She said.

Sasha sighed heavily and panic bubbled inside her as her stomach twisted into an unbearable convulsion. "It is not a 8 to 5 job, and I can start any day." She grimaced, her look not going unnoticed by Demi, but before her sister could say anything; she asked, "Demi, what do you think of May Smith?"

Demi clearly looked taken aback by the question, but she masked it and shook her head as if ridding herself of the momentary trance. "May Smith?" She asked, and Sasha nodded. She frowned and gave her sister a long look, suddenly sensing something amiss. "May Smith doesn't exist, Sasha."

Sasha's phone beeped in her pocket, and she took it out to read the new message from an unknown number.
She gulped, and the ice cream in her hands suddenly tasted sour in her mouth. What had she gotten herself into? She only prayed that she had not yet lost her new job before she could even start. Her eyes landed on her sister who was too engrossed in her cellphone and ice cream to notice the grave look on her face.

The message read: BEAUFORT WEST IN TWO DAYS TIME, 5P.M. SHARP. MISS OR ARRIVE A SECOND LATE; YOU WILL LEARN THAT THERE ARE MUCH MORE HORRIBLE THINGS THAN HAVING YOUR FACE SCRATCHED WITH A POCKET KNIFE.