Back To Life Too

Waking up to the sound of the heart monitor was probably the best thing to others, the feeling of being alive and seeing another day.

For Kyle Davids, it was the worst thing that could ever happen to him, he would have rather died than wake up to remember what happened.

A while ago, everything that had to do with his past was a distant memory. The pain, the near-death experience, rehabilitation, and fighting to rediscover what it meant to be alive and to live. He never wanted to experience that again.

He hated the feeling of drips attached to his skin, if it were up to him, he would rip it off.

But mostly, he never dreamt of waking up to be greeted by his parents' sorrowful faces. His mother mother almost died from heartache, he vowed that he would never put her through all that again.

"Son, you are awake!" She rejoiced, placing teary kisses on his face. "You gave me such a scare." She caressed his face, but his attention was on his wife standing near the door.

He could never forget how she saved his life.

Everything spiralled out of control so fast, from the divorce proceedings to finding Jorge on the brink of death, to following in the same fate.

The last couple of days were the worst since the beginning of the year, and when he thought get as bad as they already were, this had to happen.

He had no idea what happened, he only remembered leaving the hospital and driving to Sne's place; everything else was a blur.

"What happened?" He asked.

His parents exchanged a look before his mom said, "You were poisoned."

Kyle frowned. "What?" He shook his head in shock. "How? I don't-"

How in the hell did he get poisoned? He spent the entire evening at the hospital with Zoe and Shannon Botha, they all are the same food.

"That's what we also want to know," his father said gruffly. "The police are here."

"Honey, don't you think we should give him some time to recollect his thoughts before stressing him with an interrogation?"

All eyes turned to Sne when she finally spoke, her eyes fixed on him. "I think mom is right," she said.

His mother laughed incredulously. "If course you do!" She sneered, "You are only agreeing with me, because you want to buy yourself some time."

"Mom, what are you on about?" Kyle asked.

"What do you mean what am I talking about? This woman tried to kill you so that she could keep all your money!"

He stared at his mother in shock. What in the hell? He turned to Sne, her eyes staring back at him in panic.

His mother could not be right, there was no way. But the look in her eyes told him that she knew something.

"Is this a bad time?" The tension in the room multiplied as soon as Zoe Botha walked in.

Kyle rolled his eyes, why was she here? Was she going to accuse him of poisoning himself now?

"Detective, you are just on time, Kyle was just about to tell us who poisoned him," Mrs Davids said with certainty.

Kyle sighed, exasperated by all the drama. One would think they were going to make peace while he was on his deathbed, but clearly his unfortunate accident only gave them a motive to proceed with the divorce as quickly as possible.

If Jorge did not wake up in the next few weeks, this case was definitely going to court.

"Mr Davids-"

"Mr Davids is my father," he muttered dryly. When we're they going to discharge him? He thought. He really needed to get out of here.

Zoe pursed her lips and nodded. "Kyle," she said with a dry smile. "It's good to see that you are back to yourself again." She pinned him down with sharp eyes as he returned her fake. "May I please speak to the victim in private?"

Her question took them all by surprise. Kyle narrowed his eyes at her, what was she up to?

After much hesitation, his parents and his wife left. "This better be interesting," Kyle said.

"That depends on your cooperation," Zoe said and sat on the bed, and stared down at him. "Now, I've been running around for hours trying to figure out what happened to you. By the look of things, your mother probably already filled you in on her suspicions."

Kyle shrugged. "I'll take that as a yes." Kyle rolled his eyes as she took out her notebook. Did she carry that thing everywhere?

"Great," he muttered under his breath.

"I'm only doing my job, Kyle. Now if you don't mind, could you fill me in on everything you remember?"

Well, he remembered waiting with her and Shannon the entire night, then running into Logan the next morning.

He did not stop anywhere after leaving the hospital, not at any restaurant or café, he drove straight to Sne's house.

The only thing he had that morning was the coffee he took from Logan.

"Your wife seems to thing Logan Parker is responsible for the poisoning, is that true?"

The coffee. If that coffee was poisoned, then it was definitely not meant for him, it was meant for Logan. Someone was trying to kill Logan Parker.

But what did his wife have anything to do with that?

"Detective, do you have any clue or traces as to where the poison came from?" He asked although he already knew the answer to that. "We all had the same thing, if it was the hospital food then we would have all been affected." His eyes travelled up and down her body before meeting her eyes. "From were I'm laying, you look fine to me."

Zoe sighed and closed her booklet. "The CCTV in the parking lot shows that you were drinking coffee when you left the hospital, however, there was no trace of the cup in your car," she said, watching him like a hawk. "Are you sure you did not make any stops on the way and threw out the cup?"

Kyle frowned. "I'm not that careless, Zoe."

"Then what happened to the coffee you were drinking and where did you get it? It can't be from the hospital, because they use cheap white cups."

He shut his eyes slightly, trying to remember what was written on the cup, but he had no such luck, it was all a blur.

However, he remembered placing the empty coffee cup in the cup holder in his car, how was it possible that it was not there? Unless someone got rid of it.

"Detective, can I ask you something?"

Zoe gave a firm nod. "How did I get here?"

"Your wife drove you here with your car."

"And who called you?"

"Your mother did, it appears that your wife didn't want to involve the police." Kyle flinched visibly. What was really going on here? "Do you have any idea why, Mr Davids?" He shook his head, absent-minded. "Okay, uhm... What can you tell me about your relationship with Logan."

"Nothing you don't already know, detective," he said in a brittle voice. "Like I said before, I don't remember anything. If anything comes up, I know where to find you."

Zoe bit her lower lip, but did not argue. "Well, thank you for your, Kyle," she said and then left without another word.

Not even a second later, Sne came in and threw a tantrum about how he should have told Zoe that Logan was the one that poisoned him.

All Kyle could think about was getting out of there as soon as possible.