12: Preternatural Ocualar

"Hello?" Maeson felt stupid saying it but she had no idea where she was or if she was alone. "Anybody out there?" She winced saying that too. The rotten boards below her groaned and creaked with age. "Hello!" She said louder, wanting to confirm that she was indeed alone. Though there was no response, it didn't make her feel anymore safe. She lingered at the door frame of the room she had... appeared in. She could see the forest through the collapsed wall.

It was dark, pitch almost. There were no stars, though the moon shone bright; it didn't seem to brighten anything. She was afraid to explore, but she was afraid to stay. "This is a dream." She stated simply, confirming herself by pinching the soft skin above her elbow. "I'm dreaming." She smiled, stepping out the room. "So how do I wake up?" She thought aloud.

There was a rustle behind her and she paused, the fear returning. "I'm dreaming." She repeated, slowly turning. Two large eyes glared at her from the pitch from the end of the hallway. "I'm dreaming." She said louder, using it like more of a reminder to the monster but it only seemed to chuckle, dragging its hind counters to pounce. 17 gashes and jabs glowed radiantly on its chest as it jumped, glowing as bright as its eyes.

Everything seemed to slow, but Maeson couldn't move and her screaming was mute- constricted within her thoughts. "Look what you've done to me." It growled, its timbre was more of admiration more than wrath. "LOOK WHAT YOU'VE DONE TO MEEE!" Everything seemed to play, and Maeson closed her eyes, her mouth opening letting out a loud,

Screeaamm, jolting up Maeson shot her limbs out, almost kicking Kate in the face if Kate had not caught her leg. Maeson took her surrounds in, her eyes looked for any resemblance of the house in her dream, and when finding none she looked down at Kate, who watched her with concern. "I'm okay." Maeson breathed, more telling herself than Kate.

"You sure got a badass kick, would have knocked me out." Kate cracked a smile to ease the still heavily breathing girl. Kate continued to wrap Maeson's ankle with carefully hands. "Seems like you've sprained it, and I have a feeling you've already sprained it before." Kate looked up at Maeson to get confirmation and Maeson nodded.

"I do track and swimming, use to do soccer." Maeson rubbed the thin film of sweat off her forehead. "My Dad's the lacrosse team couch." Kate chuckled, she knew of Bobby, hard to forget someone of such eccentric behavior. It got quiet between them as Kate finished, putting an ice pack and holding it there for a few move, debating on her next move.

"Maeson," Kate spoke without looking at her. "What do you remember?" Kate asked. "What do you think attacked you?" She looked up at the younger girl, her thin lips pursed into a line. Maeson scanned her face before sitting up and looking at her lap.

"I'm not crazy, I'm not looking for attention, and I'm not particularly superstitious." Maeson said lowly, picking at her jeans. "But what attacked me out there was no... normal wolf." She looked up at Kate. "I've seen a wolf before, I've been to the zoo 3 times last year. That was no mountain lion either." Maeson looked at the ground, thinking of what she had said and nodding. Kate walked over to the fire place; her finger ran over the tapestry on it before moving onto a picture of her brother's family.

Her eyes lingered on Allison; she stood between her parents with a smile. Her dimples indented smooth as her teeth shone white and straight. Her long dark hair in small curls, framing her face. Chris told Kate not to introduce Allison into the family business but it was her given birth right to know. At least that was Kate's thoughts. But Maeson wasn't in the family, and Chris had no control over Maeson.

"It was a werewolf wasn't it?" Maeson broke Kate of her thoughts. Chucking inwardly, Kate turned around and Maeson continued. "It seems like this thing gets in unnoticed, but after the kill does it leave evidence. Claw marks, hair, etc. The thing must have let itself into the store, and I doubt they have opposable thumbs so it came through the back as a man but left as a wolf..."She had the paper of the story in her hands' she had grabbed it off the coffee table near her. "Same with the bus driver."