7: Rekindling the Past

A/N: SO I really don't like my cover anymore, and I'll be changing it soon. Does anyone have any ideas of who Maeson should be casted as? Who does she look like in your eyes? Anyway, thanks for your votes and reads! Please enjoy!

"Hey Maeson..." Carolyn smiled; her hands wrung her purse in nervousness. She hadn't seen her daughter alone in little over a year. Most of her calls were missed and texts went unanswered. Carolyn was sure that Maeson had invested most of her time out of the house so skip the possibility of Carolyn coming to visit. "I hope you don't have any tests today!" Carolyn laughed lightly but Maeson's hard stare only made her feel so much more uncomfortable.

"What are you doing here?" Maeson asked slowly, pushing her long brown hair behind her ears. Her almond eyes were slits as she inwardly glared at the woman standing in front of her. Carolyn and Bobby had been trying for months to get Maeson to rekindle with Carolyn but Maeson always found a way out of it. Tears', begging or just running to Jackson's, but this time, Bobby was going to make this happen.

Clearing his throat, he put his hand on Maeson's shoulder, hugging her. "Your mom is taking you out of the day." He said simply and Maeson looked at him, raising her eyebrow.

"Um, no." Maeson slid away from Bobby. "I have school. Grades to keep up and teams to meet, I don't have time to for this." She deadpanned before turning to leave but Bobby turned her around, and she took a deep breath, crossing her arms. "Why today? Out of all days on a school day. Funny how you both used to complain about how I should appreciate the education I'm getting but-" Bobby covered her mouth as she continued to talk into his hand.

"You two have a good day." He smiled, ruffling Maeson's hair before leaving the office. "Love you Maeson." He called but she said nothing back. Her eyes stared hard at her mother. Words never said weld in her throat but with her mouth pursed tight, they would be staying there like they had been for 3 years.

"I just think maybe you should get another pair of flats." Carolyn sighed, not wanting to look at the newest pair of Nike cleats. Maeson ignored her mother, walking down the aisle anyway. Carolyn watched, taking a deep breath as her daughter walked away from her. She could tell something was bothering Maeson, something big.

"Maeson... are you and Jackson okay?"

Maeson looked back at Carolyn, face relaxed though Carolyn had seen is as a sort of glower. "We're fine." She mumbled and Carolyn nodded.

"How's you and Dad?" She retorted and Carolyn smiled.

"We're fine honey, why do you ask?" She titled her head, walking towards her daughter. Maeson's eyes dropped to the ground, glassy and red.

"Maeson what's wrong?"

"Have you ever done something so wrong but not realize it?" Maeson looked up at her mother. "Done something so disgusting but didn't tell anyone because you knew it was disgusting and it would ruin everything?" She continued.

Carolyn's lips twitched as she stared at her daughter in awe. Maeson defiantly surprised her. "How's work been?" Maeson turned around swiftly, gazing the shoes with no real interest.

"Oh fine-"

"You've been getting home really late." Maeson stated and Carolyn nodded, trying to keep her smile but found it hard."Is everything fine at work?" Carolyn glanced at her phone, Liam waiting for his response. "For a gallery director, you've been coming home hours later than what your gallery calls for." Maeson said, before turning and leaving the store, leaving Carolyn speechless.

"So honey..." Carolyn glanced at her daughter as they sat in the car. Maeson keep her eyes out the window, counting the passing trees and houses, trying to distract her body from succumbing to tears and sobs. She refused to cry, especially without Bobby or Jackson there. "How's you and Jackson, you guys together yet?" She teased.