xvii.

A knock on their front door made Ally furrow her eyebrows. If Lauren and Dinah were coming over, she would've gotten a text and they would've walked through the front door, same with her parents. Normani would've come through the garage. She looked through the peephole to see Kehlani and her daughter standing at the door.

Ally opened the door with a smile, "hi, Kehlani right?"

"Yes, hi that's me. Um, I know I'm springing this on you but I was wondering if you could watch Adeya today? I got called into work last minute and my babysitter is out of town for a few days," Kehlani looked at Ally with a cheeky smile.

"Of course! I'd love to," Ally said.

"Oh God bless your soul, um here," Kehlani gave Adeya's bag to Ally, "there's a note in there with what she likes and just things like that, also my phone number. Thank you again, so much," Kehlani gave Ally a hug.

"No worries, you and Adeya are welcome any time," Ally waved her off.

"Thank you, thank you, thank you. Okay, Adeya," Kehlani squatted down next to her daughter, "this is Ally. Ally is going to take care of you while Mommy goes to work, you be good girl, okay?" Adeya nodded. "Okay, thank you baby. I'll be back around five or six," Kehlani said, standing and talking to Ally.

"We'll be here," Ally nodded.

"Thank you again, so much," Kehlani gave Adeya's hand to Ally, "bye baby! Be good!" Kehlani blew a few kisses as she rushed over to her car, waving at the two in the doorway.

"Bye Mommy!" Adeya waved. When Kehlani pulled out of Ally's driveway and sped away, Ally took Adeya inside.

"Hi Adeya, I'm Ally," Ally squatted to Adeya's level.

Adeya nodded, "Lily." Ally laughed.

"Sure, that works. Do you want to make brownies with me?" Ally asked.

"'Es p'ease!" Adeya clapped with a squeal.

"Thank you for your manners, sweetie. C'mon, let's go to the kitchen," Ally set Adeya's bag down and guided Adeya to the kitchen. Ally originally wasn't planning on making anything today, but she figured it'd give them something to do for a good amount of time. Ally put on pop music on the overhead speakers.

Ally picked Adeya up and put her on the counter, "here, can you hold this more me? We're going to use it later," Ally handed Adeya the whisk as Adeya nodded.

Ally got the butter, sugar, salt, and cocoa powder into a bowl. Adeya was swaying happily to the beat, waving the whisk around with a big smile on her face. Ally laughed.

"Let's get this in the microwave," Ally lifted the bowl into the microwave above the stove. She preheated the oven and when the microwave beeped, she made sure it was melted and put it back on the counter next to Adeya.

"Can I have that now?" Ally pointed to the whisk. Adeya nodded and held it out, "thank you love," Ally smiled, taking the whisk. She mixed the ingredients together, then added vanilla and egg to mix it again. Once that was mixed, she added another egg and mixed it until it looked like shiny pudding. Ally grabbed half a cup of flour before mixing it again.

"Okay Adeya, hold this," Ally pulled an eight inch square pan out and put it next to the bowl. Adeya put her tiny hands on the lip of the pan, holding it as Ally had told her. Ally poured the mixture into the pan, "good job, Adeya," Ally praised, grinning at the girl. Adeya giggled and clapped.

The oven beeped, signaling it was preheated. "This is going in the oven and while this bakes we can watch something, okay?" Ally grabbed the pan as Adeya nodded. Ally put the pan in the oven and set a timer for eighteen minutes. "What do you want to watch?" Ally asked as she took Adeya by her underarms and set her on her hip, carrying her over to the couch, turning the music off in passing and grabbing the television remote.