xxiii.

"Y'all still haven't taken down your Christmas decorations?" Lauren laughed as she walked into the house.

Normani rolled her eyes and shook her head, "Ally wants to leave them up until the end of January, which is luckily coming close."

"She's so funny. Where is she anyway?" Lauren plopped down on the couch, watching Normani move in the kitchen.

"She has her dress fitting today, then later they're going to lunch or whatever," Normani shrugged.

"So we've got the house to ourselves for a while then, huh?" Lauren smirked slightly.

Normani looked up and squinted at her best friend, "what do you have planned?"

"Well, I did just get a new gram," Lauren trailed off.

"Oh god," Normani chuckled, "I can't remember the last time I smoked with you."

"I made sure you couldn't," Lauren teased with a laugh.

"Whatever," Normani rolled her eyes, washing her hands before moving to sit next to Lauren.

"C'mon, it's a pretty day today," Lauren insisted.

"Fine, let's go outside, Ally will hate me if the house smells like weed when she comes home," Normani said, getting up.

Lauren jumped up and clapped, "yes!"

Normani grabbed a water bottle and a few snacks, like the cookies she and Ally had made earlier in the week and a bag of chips and dip. Lauren was already seated in a patio chair, opening her bag.

"I also have edibles if you want," Lauren held a small ziploc of cookies up, "but I did pre-roll about three. Keana, my other friend, and I had different strands so we might've put them together in a bowl, but anyway, that doesn't matter," Lauren waved off her rambling, Normani silently watching with an amused look.

"So what you're telling me is that we're going to be floating?" Normani raised an eyebrow.

Lauren chuckled, "basically, yeah."

"Well fuck let's do it," Normani threw her hands up, wondering what the hell could go wrong.

+

"I feel like I'm swaying," Normani said softly.

Lauren giggled, "because you are."

"What? No I'm not," Normani's eyebrows furrowed, looking at the girl next to her.

"Yeah, you are," Lauren rolled her eyes.

"Whatever," Normani mumbled, thoroughly enjoying herself.

Lauren looked down when her phone chimed, sighing, "Dinah texted me saying she's on the way home, which means Ally's coming home too."

"Oh Ally! Nice," Normani nodded with a satisfied smile.

"I'm going to go, don't get into trouble, it should wear off in an hour or so," Lauren snorted, noticing the far off look in her best friend's eyes (red, half dropped eyes).

"Okay, thanks for coming over and keeping me company, drive safe," Normani said.

Lauren nodded, "will do, love you."

"Love you too," Normani waved, watching Lauren close the front door behind her. She then turned to the television and turned it on, scrolling through Netflix for something, deciding on Legend of Korra for background noise as she got up and walked into the kitchen. She set her hands on the counter and chuckled, recalling that one time she put Ally on the counter and was interrupted by her mother calling.