Chapter Twenty Seven

Evelyn stood in a room with Elena and Damon. She had returned before Stefan and was currently holding a knife, twirling it as she looked out a window. Elena couldn't help but look at her and Evelyn could feel the eyes on the back of her neck. Stefan walked in not two minutes later, his eyes shooting between Damon, Elena, then landing on Evelyn as she turned to face him.

"Did you find the tunnel map?" Stefan questioned, closing the door.

"Got it," Damon confirmed, "It was in his weapon's drawer with seven stakes, a weird MacGyver crossbow, and the last remaining vervain in mystic falls. So, how about we get this party started?"

"Soon, we need to wait a few minutes and then we can go. Klaus was going to send one of his men but we have Evelyn,"

"Yeah, about that, since when do we team up with Klaus? No offense but we all know you'd kill us for Klaus in a heart beat," Damon said, turning to Evelyn.

"I wouldn't," Evelyn stated as she walked back to the window, "I wouldn't kill you for just existing."

"You'd kill us if we were to attack Klaus," Elena stated.

"I would do it with a smile," Evelyn agreed, her eyes landing on Elena, "But other than that, we can be friendly."

Elena gulped before looking at Stefan. Stefan's eyes were trained on Evelyn before they softened, glancing at Elena.  Damon was frowning before he looked at Evelyn. Their eyes met and she gave him a soft smile before looking back out the window. Playing nice was something she excelled at and Evelyn wasn't going to let Klaus down.

"I already told you, Connor has werewolf venom. We need someone to draw his fire and Evelyn here is an original thanks to the witches. Evelyn is our best bet other than a hybrid."

"Well, how are you sure he even has werewolf venom? Why is Klaus involved, Stefan? Why is Evelyn here?"

Stefan turned around, facing away from the group as he grabbed something, "Oh, stop being paranoid, Damon."

"Start telling the truth... Stefan. Why is Klaus involved? Did he compel you?"

"I am telling you the truth," Stefan snapped, turning to face his brother, "This is the best way to get everyone out."

"What is it with you two? We're wasting time," Elena finally snapped.

Evelyn smiled and turned to face them. Crossing her arms, she looked at the two brothers. Elena was still creating a wedge between them. Now that she was a vampire, the wedge would just get bigger. It was only a matter of time before Elena caused more damage.

"You know what, she's right." Damon stated, "Screw your plan. I'll kill Connor myself."

Damon went to leave. Stefan quickly grabbed his brother, putting the object he was holding in him. Evelyn thought it could be a knife, something to keep him missing in action for a bit. Elena was shocked and Evelyn just put herself between the Salvatores and her. There was no way a baby vampire was going to ruin the plan. Looking at what Stefan was holding, a grin appeared on Evelyn's face; he had put vervain in his brother.

"Why are you doing this?" Elena questioned as Stefan threw his brother on a red couch.

"Damon had the right idea with the tunnels, but I'm not going to go in there if I can't count on him to do it my way," Stefan explained as he pulled out his phone.

"If you can't count on him? You just vervained him!" Elena argued.

"That's because he doesn't care about Matt or April," Evelyn cut into the conversation, "All he wants it to kill Connor and save Jeremy. And the only reason he would save Jeremy is because of you."