Chapter Sixteen

It was almost time for the ball

It was almost time for the ball. Rebekah and Evelyn got ready together, doing one another's hair and makeup. Esther was with them, complimenting the girls as she helped them do their hair. Once the women were ready, Rebekah escorted Evelyn downstairs. Klaus was sitting on the couch, tying his tie, when he noticed them coming. His eyes widened when he saw Evelyn in the red dress. She lit the room up like a candle. He grinned, getting up and kissing her cheek.

"You look gorgeous," He complimented.

Evelyn smiled, observing his black suit and white bow tie, "You look handsome, as always."

As the evening started people began to flood the house. She spotted Stefan almost instantly. Damon was there talking with the mayor when Elena walked in. A part of her wished they could still be close friends but they would never trust her again. This was her life now.

Klaus disappeared in the crowd for a while. People would walk up and greet Evelyn, so she mingled for a minute. Caroline showed up in a pink dress that went down to her ankles and white gloves, which were gorgeous. Evelyn was wearing a pair of black gloves she borrowed from Rebekah, they matched her heels and made her more modern ball gown stick out. Approaching her, Caroline hugged Evelyn as a greeting. She was more than shocked Caroline was still being friendly.

"I heard you and Klaus are a thing," Caroline stated.

Evelyn nodded her head, "Yeah, I'm surprised you don't hate me for it."

"Oh please, you are still the girl that paints in her free time. It's not like you're going to flat out change and attack me when he commands you to," She joked, "Right?"

Evelyn giggled, "Yeah, I suppose you're right."

"Also, I never told you but I absolutely love the oil painting you made me for my birthday, when did you start doing animals?"

Evelyn grinned, "it was an experimental piece truthfully, I have one drying at the moment I'm going to give you next Christmas that suits you more."

"Well, I loved it. Thank you,"

An arm snaked around Evelyn's waist. She knew it was Klaus even before his cologne hit her nose. Caroline gave him a polite smile. Klaus raised an eyebrow at her before leaning down to whisper in Evelyn's ear.

"Talking about me, love?"

Evelyn smirked, "You wish,"

Klaus knew they were talking about him previously, "I wouldn't be surprised you were talking about me, especially after what we did in my bedroom."

Smacking his arm, Evelyn began to blush a deep crimson, "Shut up now."

Klaus laughed before changing the subject, "Caroline right? It's a pleasure to officially meet you."

Caroline shook his hand. Klaus kissed Evelyn on the cheek before excusing himself to talk with another important politician of the town. Once he was gone, she let out a sigh. The blonde vampire was smiling, her eyes telling Evelyn she knew what Klaus meant. Letting out another sigh, Evelyn wished she had some alcohol to deal with the trauma she was about to endure.