Chapter Nineteen

"I'll get you the other three," Stefan sighed.

"Yeah," Klaus's face remained cold, "that would be nice. Or, since you lied, maybe I'll just compel your brother to chew out his own tongue."

"What is wrong with you?" Stefan questioned in a monotone voice.

"What is wrong with you?!" Klaus shot back in anger, "Do you really have no appreciation for me? I have given you someone to hate; to loathe, a target for all of your anger. So you don't have to turn it on yourself. I have given your life purpose as your friend.
"I really think you should be thanking me," Klaus chuckled.

Stefan attacked Klaus in a fit of anger. Evelyn noticed he was holding a stake, causing panic to run through her veins. Her body jolted, but she didn't move from her spot beside Rebekah. She had faith Klaus would stop him. And she was right. Klaus stared into Stefan's eyes coldly as the stake hovered close to the hybrid's chest.

"Step down or you'll both die," Klaus warned before taking the stake gracefully from Stefan's hands after he calmed down, "There. Now you'll only have to get me the other two."

"This is ridiculous," Rebekah sighed before marching over to Damon.

"What are you doing?" Klaus inquired, approaching his sister.

"I brought him here," She sighed, undoing the traps, "I get to release him. My rules now. Bring us the stakes and you both live. Take your brother as a sign of good faith."

Grabbing her bag, Rebekah walked out of the room. Evelyn couldn't help but watch her leave. The woman held so much power. It was beautiful. She smiled at the thought of how close the two had become and how nice it was to know her.

Klaus offered Evelyn his hand, which she gladly took, before  he turned to Stefan, "Bring us the stakes. All of them. Or I'll wage a war against everyone you love."

The two walked towards the doorway, Klaus stopping and leaning towards Stefan, "I hope I'm being clear."

The three let Stefan leave unharmed. Evelyn and Klaus met Rebekah in the other room where she had started a fire in the large fireplace. Rebekah stood over the fireplace as Evelyn sat on the dark leather sofa, watching as Klaus fiddled with something on the coffee table in front of her.

" I can't believe Finn is dead," Rebekah sighed.

Klaus didn't look up, "Good riddance. He was an embarrassment, Rebekah."

"He was still your brother," Rebekah snapped, looking at Klaus, "Mind your tongue."

"Fine, let's all say a prayer for Finn, who slept in a box longer than he lived as a man. He was a lovesick fool, tried to kill the woman I share a blood bond with, and not to mention wanted the lot of us gone; he's better off in death,"

Rebekah approached Klaus with narrowed eyes, "Is that how you would speak of me if I died?"

"Well, you let the Salvatores loose with two stakes that could kill us, so I guess we'll find out soon enough. And since when did you have a soft spot for them?"

"The Salvatores may fight like dogs but in the end, they would die for each other. At least they know what family means. You destroyed ours,"

"I wanted a family," Klaus said softly, "They just didn't want me. And now we're unlinked. We're no longer responsible for each other,"

"So, what, are you leaving?" Rebekah asked.

"As soon as I get my stakes, I'm gone," Klaus stated, backing away from her. "I'm going to take Elena and use her blood to create a new family of hybrids."