Chapter Four

The next morning Evelyn was tired

The next morning Evelyn was tired. She didn't want to leave the bed. Then she remembered Damon was loose. A sense of dread filled her when she got up. Looking at the open floorboard, she sighed. She had a single vervain soaked stake and four regular stakes.

Evelyn was going to go to the Salvatore residence when Stefan called her and asked her to come to the grill and told her Elena knew Stefan was a vampire. She got dressed and walked there. Spotting Elena and Stefan together, she got a seat and sat beside the two of them. Elena was confused. Giving the woman a small smile, Evelyn decided to come clean.

"I see why you brought me here," She said to Stefan, "Elena, you'll hate me but that's okay. I guess it is time to come clean."

"Wait, are you one too?" Elena freaked out.

"No, I'm not. I'm a hunter. I have killed a vampire, two werewolves, and a witch. It's a small number but the bloodline of my family is powerful. Not as powerful as some other witch made hunters out there but powerful nonetheless,"

"Why is everyone keeping secrets from me?" Elena cried out.

Evelyn let out a sigh, "I kept it from you because it's a story no one wants to hear. What, do you think it's important for you to know that at age six my parents died? A single day later I was sent to my Uncle Aaron's, who then proceeded to whip me if I called him anything but 'sir' and made me snap the neck of my dog because he wanted to teach me not to get attached to anything, sound fun?"

Elena was speechless.

Evelyn sighed, standing up. "Why did you really bring me here Stefan?"

"I wanted you to help me protect Elena from Damon,"

"And I will, but you're with her for now so you'll be fine. I've got to go, someone is calling me."

Picking up her phone, she answered it as she walked away from them, "Hello?"

"We found the compass," Sheriff Forbes stated.

She knew she was too far away from Stefan to hear them, "What compass?"

"It was used by the founders of Mystic Falls, it will help us find a vampire,"

"You're playing with fire," Evelyn warned.

"Why don't you help us?"

Evelyn rolled her eyes, "temping but no."

Evelyn cut the call short. She didn't want anything to do with the founders. They were going to make things worse. Walking to the Gilbert's house, Evelyn banged on the door before Jeremy answered. He was confused as Evelyn strolled inside. Inside, Evelyn made her way to the kitchen and made herself a sandwich before she talked.

"What are you doing?" Jeremy questioned.

"I'm hungry and mad, so I'm eating even though I've already ate breakfast. Also, why don't you talk to me anymore? I thought we were friends,"