I.IX

It had only been six hours later yet so much had happened. 

It's when Donghyuck stood at the front door, just stepping into his house, facing the man sprawled over the living room's couch, where he realized the huge difference only one night could make. He definitely felt better, calm, level-headed, clad in fresh clothes even if they were a few sizes too big. He could tell, just from Mark's crouched posture, pained expression and the mere stale smell that he unquestionably had something to drink. From a distance though, Donghyuck couldn't tell quite how much. 

He made an effort to pass by Mark as quietly as possible but in true movie magic, the stench of one too many glasses of alcohol eroded his nostrils and in a few seconds, he's basically catapulted into the couch, just where Mark is. 

Fuck

Mark's immediately awake and holding his head in his hands. He lets out groan after groan while Donghyuck is sat in fear, really. Facing Mark after the things that were said only the night before was not on the proverbial bucket list and he could really go his entire life without having to look at him again. This was not a part of the plan. He was supposed to pack his things in silence, move to Mexico and finish his schooling there. Not to be planted on his fairly new couch in an emotion closest to fear, holding the biggest breath, hoping that somehow the older man doesn't see him and he can live the rest of his life being a humble throw pillow. 

His wish was denied. 

Donghyuck doesn't see, but Mark is peeking up - hand still attached to his head. It's due to the exhalation of the breath Donghyuck's been holding, with how stilled he's been, he doesn't even realize he's doing it until he hears Mark's voice.

Donghyuck can only blame himself for how his mind responded to the sound. Mark's voice sounds like gravel and a nasty amount of cigarettes yet Donghyuck couldn't help the way his stomach flipped at it. His skin set alight, he felt tingly. This wasn't the first time this happened around Mark, but this was definitely the first time it occurred for no reason. "You're back?"

He can't trust himself to answer so in apprehension, only makes a few glances at the man to his left. He's looking away only a short while after but he was able to take a note of basically all of Mark's features. Mark's eyes are heavy, the dark circles -that were only there before due to the lack of sleep that comes with going to any educational institution- were deepened, almost looking like permanent residents on Mark's face. His forehead lines creased into his loose skin and a pliant scowl present on his features. 

"I missed you." Oh- "I'm sorry for I said." That was quick. That was shocking. 

Never has Hyuck ever been apologized to that quickly after a fight without some type of stubborn back and front and here was Mark, in a obviously hungover state prioritizing an apology over an antagonizing headache that could even be sensed from the outside. 

"I- I- Huh?" 

He hasn't forgotten Mark's words and he probably never will but at least for now, maybe he could start to repay Mark for even only a fraction of his previous kindness. "Do you want me to get you something for your headache?"

"Nggg." A wordless groan is emitted from Mark's lips as he rubbed his eyes, trying his best to open them a little wider than before. "No, it's okay. I'll do it."

His struggle to stand was very obvious, but Donghyuck was stuck in his seat at the strange display of kindness. He expected tension and malice; never did he expect an apology. It couldn't be over this quickly, could it?

No, he deserved better......did he not?

After he realized Mark had actually been gone for a few minutes, he finally followed Mark into their kitchen. It was in a much more aware mind that Mark seemed to notice the difference in Donghyuck's body. "Whose clothes are those?" The words themselves come off normal, but Mark's eyes are shifty and his hands are shaking. Donghyuck decides it's because he's hangover and not any other reason.