V.XXVIII

Due to the national coverage and sheer popularity of the suspects, the case is held only a week after announced. 

Donghyuck is no longer in a wheelchair but restricted to crutches as his foot isn't fully healed. His heart aches more than his injuries though, as he sits hand to hand with Mark, in a courtroom with his father and his boyfriend's father (among other people) pleading guilty to every single alleged crime.

"Jesus fucking christ." Donghyuck mutters under his breath, an attempt to keep himself from tears. There's just something about hearing your father -even one that despises you- being convicted for attempting to kill you, along with other atrocious charges, that is absolutely devastating...earth crushing and frankly indescribable.

"They're about to give the sentences." Mark whispers, taking their interlocked fingers and planting a peck to Donghyuck's. He's just as shaken up but the boy beside him is pale, shaking and sweating profusely in an air conditioned courthouse. He's just trying to be there for him. 

"Oh fuck." It's just a bit too much and Donghyuck can't take it anymore. He grabs up his crutches and leaves the courtroom, still holding his tears in. 

He finds himself in a lone alleyway, propping himself onto a brick wall. He's managed to keep his tears at bay utilizing the numbing effect of the cigarettes he just bought.

He doesn't know how long he's been out there simply thinking and reflecting -as he's found himself doing a lot recently- but he's brought from his little funk by Mark's panting figure running up to him. 

Mark takes a minute to catch his breath before he reaches Donghyuck. "Hey." He leans beside him. "You wanna talk?" His voice is small and understanding, taking the time to turn his head to Donghyuck, just to look, see how he's doing. 

After taking another drag, he responds. "I just wanna know how many years they got because honestly, I don't want to think about this anymore."

"Everybody got a life sentence." Mark answers honestly, before holding out his arms for his boyfriend to rest himself in. It takes a bit of maneuvering with his crutches and even more shifting to make sure his leg isn't comprised, but Donghyuck feels himself let go when his head hits Mark's chest.

Despite his attempt, today and for the last week to keep his emotions out of the picture, Donghyuck finds himself bawling like a baby into Mark's shirt. 

"Baby. It's okay now. You don't have to hold anything in." It isn't okay and they both know it; the repercussions of their father's actions will follow them both throughout life. But for now, as they hold each other in a dusty alleyway, they can pretend it's okay.

"I don't know why he hates me so much. I've been nothing but his son."

Mark takes the cigarette that's been forgetten in Donghyuck's grasp and takes a drag for himself, his first since Donghyuck told him it annoyed him almost an entire year earlier. "You know what, baby? I don't know why does but I really have to tell you, you're the most amazing person I've ever met. You're nothing that your dad has ever told you are and you didn't deserve any of it."

It takes a minute or two, but Donghyuck sighs and nods in Mark's embrace. He makes a move to peer up at Mark, no longer crying -although it's obvious that he was- with a terribly small smile on his lips. "You know that you can talk to me about your dad too, right?"

Mark nods, returning the smile while running his palm up and down his boyfriend's back. "I know. Don't worry, love, I know."

"I love you, okay? And thank you." Donghyuck says, puckering his lips for a conservative kiss. "Thank you for everything."

==

The next chapter is the last chapter hehe