Chapter 5

-In the Barn-

Kotai is still sitting next to the purplish wyvern's egg on the straw his guardian has gathered before departing.

It has been almost an hour since Kamui has left him in the desolated barn and the young boy is already missing the presence of the petite knight.

However, he will not disobey. If she said that's it is necessary for him to stay behind then he must stay hidden with the big silver egg.

After taking a moment to admire the beautiful egg he cannot help but wonder how there can be so many different shades of silver on a single object. Besides, when will it hatch? The albino cannot wait to see the colors of the hatchling, it could be silver! Or purple! Or even black! It will be beautiful, he is sure of it.

...

Kotai's excitement is already replaced by boredom as his ears starts to ring randomly because of the silence. He looks around the decaying wood until his eyes lay on a really big spider right at his foot.

He shivers, instantly covering his mouth and slowly retreating to the other side of the barn, leaving the egg there since the eight legged monstrosity can not hurt it. A plank falls when he approaches the wall, making him flinch.

The boy stays still with his eyes glued on the spider, happy to be as far as possible from it.

"Hey Bert, I think it was here." A deep voice can be heard outside.

The boy stops moving, his eyes wide open.

Who is that? He thinks as he starts to slowly get back were the egg, and unfortunately, the spider are.

"I'm sure you are hearing things again." Replies a rough voice.

There are no sign of the spider, the young boy quickly hides the egg under the straw and begins to approach the back door.

Or what remains of it anyway.

The first voice responds with a happy tone. "Nah... It was here, look! There're footprints at the door!"

Said door is being open by the first man as Kotai trips on a bucket in his panic.

"See! There's a little boy just here." The intruder says with a disturbing smile.

The albino starts to run but his efforts are cut short when he suddenly stumbles over a rock in the grey grass and a raging pain spreads over his ankle.

He grits his teeth and tries to prevent tears from flowing. Looking at his right foot, his eyes widen when they laid on the abnormal angle his ankle is making.

"Fufufu, tell me young boy what are you doing here?" The first man asks after walking in his direction.

Kotai looks at the giant man towering over him and does not answer his question, his body shaking and his vision hazy.

"He doesn't seems to be talkative." A slightly smaller man, Bert, states matter of factly while looking at the crying mess in front of him.

"Where are you parents?" He demands with a stern tone.

"I-I don't have..." The young boy stammers out before being cut off by the first guy.

"If you come with us, maybe we will find them." The first man says with his loud voice.

"Greg, let people finish their sentence before talking." Bert lectures the now named Greg.

Greg turns around and starts a staring contest with Bert. "Stop telling me what to do!"