Chapter 26

-Kageyama-

Kagero has been Prince Ryoma's retainer for less than six months, but it does not mean that her loyalty is weak. She may be less... paranoid than Kaizo, however she takes her missions very seriously.

So when she was asked to make sure that the town her liege and his vanguard were going to cross was safe, she immediately starts to roam in Kageyama, listening to all the gossips and rumors.

Because rumors are the best way to gain information quickly.

And she has a reason to be more focused than normally because when there is a festival, there are people coming from everywhere to feast... or plan something shady.

During her intelligence gathering, one thing stood out more than the rest.

A nohrian chef was into town and, from what she saw, the blonde girl was really skilled with knives.

Of course it does not mean that the girl will try anything that could endanger the heir of the throne or any of the townsfolks, but Nohr has been at war with Hoshido for more than a decade now.

Plus, nohrian are well known for their treacherous and scheming behavior, it would not be a surprise if they had purposely send an innocent citizen with a weapon that could be activated from out of Hoshido, making the barrier useless.

Why is she thinking of this possibility?

First of all, the nohrian girl has been friendly with the people of Kageyama, reserved yes, but still friendly. She has no problem when dealing with children but lets her assistant deal with the adults and teenagers question or remarks. Her body language shows that she has no ill intention or any lingering hate every soldier can not suppress completely when in front of an enemy.

The problem here is that the hoshido-nohrian border is strictly guarded by each country to prevent anyone from travelling from one side to another.

Which is why there is a high probability that this seemingly innocent girl has been purposely let through by the nohrian army. It would not be the first time they kill their own people to satisfy their greed, the perfect examples being the numerous facelesses killing sprees.

Kagero's job is now to find out if there are any weapons hidden or artefacts in the petite girl stall, preferably without being noticed. For a ninja causing a commotion when it can be prevented is considered as a enormous error that could mean the end of one's life if on a mission.

But she will wait for the festival to truly begins before starting her new stall rummaging.

-Two Hours Later-

Surprisingly, a lot of people have come to eat at the 'Shirakawa booth' and the hunters are making more profit in one day than in four days of selling without Kamui.

"Cut the radishes!" When you speak of the devil.

"Wait! I need to take care of the omelet first!" A sweating Mitsue yells back at the frowning chef. 

Yes, said chef is maybe the best cook he has ever met, but she does not need to try to kill him from exhaustion!

"To slow!" She appears next to him and cuts the radishes in slices in mere seconds, her knife only a blur. The blonde girl puts them in the bouillon and then grabs the frying pan and puts the omelet on a plate already filled with venison. "Seiji!". She barks, full of adrenaline, feeling like she is playing a timed level in a video game.

"What?!" The orangette shouts back from across the counter.

The knight gives him two plates. "To them." She points in the direction of a couple sitting on one of the crates they placed under the tarp because it was raining thirty minutes ago.