Chapter 35

-Second Day of Hanami-

-Shirasagi Castle-

After riding with Reina on her kinshi for three hours straight, Ryoma gets out of the armory where he left his armor but not his katana, the legendary Rajinto.

He enters his room tiredly and takes his futon out of a closet, the maids sleeping as the sun has disappeared behind the horizon hours ago.

Of course, they should be wide awake, knowing that the prince would come back late at night.

But the crown prince made it clear that he wanted everyone to be able to rest and have time with their family during the festival, hence he has asked his stepmother to not tell the maids about him coming back at this hour.

The brunette finishes to unfold his futon when a soft voice asks for him behind the sliding door. "Ryoma, Can I come in?"

"Of course mother." He smiles when he sees her silhouette through the door.

Mikoto enters the room with a candle. "How are you." She smiles motherly at him.

"We suffered no casualty, everyone will be able to celebrate with their loved ones." The prince sits down on a pillow.

"Good..." The queen eyes stay on Ryoma's bag, unfocused.

The brunette, knowing that his step-mother is surely thinking about the lost twins, opens his bag and takes out items he gathered during his travel to alter her train of thoughts. "It was really refreshing to be able to mix in the crowd, not as the crown prince, but as an ordinary samurai."

Mikoto lightly flinches when he continues talking but quickly recovers and looks at the first item he takes out of the bag.

"For Sakura, I found this." He takes out a bunny make out of glass. "I never knew Kaneyama had such competent craftsman." He chuckles, putting it on his futon. "Next, I got this ribbon, Takumi's hair is getting longer and longer." 

"Yes, he throws a tantrum each time I try to cut it." The queen's smile widen when he gives her the red ribbon, the fabrics so soft it might slip from her finger.

He nods. "Since Hinoka wants to follow the way of the warrior, I took this book."

The queen puts the ribbon down and grabs the book carefully. "How to wield the Naginata" She whispers, thinking of the little girl excursions at night. "I am sure that they will all be delighted by those gifts."

"I hope so." He smirks, crossing his arms.

"And what might that be?" Mikoto gesture for a wooden tablet in the bag.

Ryoma takes it out, not remembering what it is until he sees the sakura flower engraved into the wood. "A gift."

"From who?" The woman's smile turns mischievous. "Is it from a girl?"

The crown prince blushes. "Yes." He coughs.

"Oh? And who might that be?" Mikoto's eyes shine in amusement.

The samurai does not look at her. "A hunter?"

"You do not seem sure about it." The queen chuckles.

"Well... She is a hunter and a cook... and a mage." He adds, his blush deepening as the discussion goes on.

Her smile disappear. "A nohrian?" She asks with a worried expression, remembering what happened to her husband and her children.

"There is no need to worry mother." Ryoma tries to defuse the situation "Emiya is not a soldier."