Who said you need a partner to raise a child?

Today was the day that I finally made the decision to actually adopt. I had thought about it for the longest time and now I was certain that I would do it. I didn't have a partner but that didn't change my plans, in fact it encouraged me more.

I loved kids with all my heart, given the fact that I was a teacher, too and always wished for one. And who said that you needed a partner to raise a child?

So I looked up some orphanages in my city and around and decided on the one farthest away so I wouldn't accidentally meet one of my pupils. Of course, I loved them all but I wanted a kid that I didn't already knew. That'd be awkward.

I called my brother, Frank, who had been over the moon as I told him that he would become an uncle soon and told him every detail I could think of at the moment. He managed to calm me down before I got too nervous and promised to be back from tour in a few days.

The website didn't say anything about special days so I just got in my car and drove there. Couldn't hurt to just show up.

Entering the building I noticed that it felt kind of cold. My school always had a inviting flair and you could hear the constant chatter from the separate class rooms. But this place felt heavy with negative feelings and made me uneasy.

If kids really would be living here, I wanted to take all of them with me.

I went to the office (well, I assumed that it was the office because it was the only door with chairs in front of it) and knocked. "Hello?"

"Yes?" A female voice answered from inside. I pushed the door open and saw an elderly woman sitting behind a desk.

Despite the building, she actually seemed kind and smiled at me warmly.

"How can I help you sweetheart?" She wanted to know. First we introduced ourselves ( her name was Mrs. Watson and the orphanage was a family company) and had some small talk about the weather and the like but then I came to the reason I was here.

"I came here because I wanted to adopt," I informed her though it was kind of obvious.

She clapped her hands and smiled again. "Great. We have to do some checks on your criminal record and financial status along with your living situation first. But if you want to, you can already go and meet some of the kids. And don't let this awful building scare you away, they are absolute angels here, the house is just old and always had this strange feeling. We're planning on renovating for ages but you know, we're always busy," She told me and got up.

I was a bit surprised by the info dumb but I had read about this stuff earlier so I knew what would come. Glad, that the problem seemed to be with the building and its architecture and not with the lack of happiness, I followed the lady.

Soon we entered a common room were a handful of younger children were playing in the corner while the older ones were sitting around and distracted themselves silently or were busy with homework.

This room felt way better than the entrance but still I was glad to be here on a not official day where nothing could be sugar-coated.

"Hey, loves! This is Miss Iero and she wants to get to know some of you so please be kind to her!" The lady announced to the kids that all were looking at me now. I waved awkwardly at the silent faces and stepped into the room.

The lady tapped my shoulder lightly. "I'll leave you alone to talk to them. If you need something, I'm back in the office." And then she closed the door behind her.

Deciding to just go with it, I went up to the table with the older ones that probably were around ten and sat down on the floor, leaning against the wall. For a few minutes I only took in the atmosphere of the room and watched what happened. They were looking at me curiously but no one was brave enough to walk up directly to me. Slowly, the chatter started again, them turning back to their games.