a cozy little Christmas

The first thing I heard this morning was the creak of our bedroom door and then the little footsteps of our four-year-old. I didn't exactly know why that woke me up but I blamed it on my hypersensitive brain.

Mikey was still fast asleep, his left arm loosely wrapped around my torso while his head was on my chest.

I opened my eyes and saw our daughter standing at the foot of the bed, fidgeting. "Mommy? Are you awake yet?" She managed to whisper though I could see her excitement even in the dark room.

So I nodded sleepily and extended my free hand for her. "Yes, but daddy isn't. Come on and cuddle a bit with us until he wakes up."

"But it's Christmas! I want to see if Santa was there!" Juliet pouted.

Mikey stirred but kept sleeping. Oh, that lucky fucker. After a quick glance at the bedside table, I found out that it was only seven am. Mikey and I had been wrapping presents until half past one so I desperately tried to get us a few more minutes of sleep. "Baby, Santa may need just a few more minutes. Just come here and wait with us a little bit."

Eventually, she complied and climbed up on the bed and wiggled her way between me and her father. Mikey readjusted himself in his sleep to hug us both and then placed his head back on my shoulder.

And we fell back asleep. Juliet must have been pretty tired herself because she was snoring cutely even before I was back in my dreams.

This time, I was woken up by Mikey moving around. Tiredly, I opened my eyes again only to see him smile down at me and our daughter softly. He was leaning against the headboard, our daughter curled together in his lap.

"Morning, Darling," Mikey whispered as I moved up to him.

I kissed his cheek. "Morning."

"Since when is Juliet here?" He asked and stroked a strand of hair out of her face.

"She came in at seven but I convinced her of waiting a bit more."

Mikey grinned, checked whether our daughter was still asleep and kissed me properly, ignoring the morning breath for the moment. "Merry Christmas, Y/N."

"Ew, that's disgusting! Mommy, daddy, stop!" Apparently Juliet wasn't asleep because now, she squeezed herself between us and forced us to break the kiss.

Mikey pulled a face over the head of our daughter, making me giggle. But my attention soon shot back to her.

"Can we go see if Santa was there, now?"

I gave Mikey a glance saying: 'it's your daughter too' and he groaned silently while rolling out of bed. "Sure, baby."

Triumphantly, I cuddled back into my pillows until I heard: "Mommy, you too! I drew something for you!"

Damnit. Lucky for both of them, I loved them more than I loved my sleep. And who could resist when Mikey and Juliet were giving you puppy eyes?

So I climbed out of my bed, earning me a cute hug from my daughter and Mikey who attempted to kiss me. But because I'm grumpy, I stopped him. "No, brush your teeth first."

I made them get dressed before doing anything else so we wouldn't have to do it later.

"Can I go look for Santa now?" Juliet whined and took both of our hands to drag us into the living room.

Standing there, she stared at the tall Christmas tree that Mikey and I had put up yesterday and decorated in the night for her. There was a huge pile of presents with her name on it but being the shy girl she was sometimes, she looked at us unsurely.