the taste of ink

The woman flinched a bit away from the tattoo needle, I pressed into her shoulder blade. Though she kept her smile, maybe letting it waver just a bit from the prolonged pain.

"Only a little longer,"I told her, focused on the left wing of the angel I was putting on her skin. She nodded her head and squeezed the seat with her right hand.

My nose was almost touching her skin as I tried to get the faint lines as precise as possible. To distract her I talked to her and hummed along to the song that was playing in the background. "You have any plans for today?"

She nodded. "Yes, I want to go out with my girlfriend tonight to this fancy new restaurant around the corner. The tattoo's a little surprise, I hope she likes it."

"I'm sure she will," I told her and took the needle away to gently rub antiseptic on her skin.

She hissed once again but stayed perfectly still. While she composed herself, I took off my rubber gloves and tossed them in the bin. "You wanna see it?"

"Yes, please."

So I guided her to the mirror in the staff room and held up another so she could see herself properly. The moment, she thanked me enthusiastically with a hug, I heard the familiar jingle of the door, telling me that another customer just walked in.

"A minute please!" I shouted at them.

Then, I turned back to my current customer who was smiling from ear to ear. "I love it, thanks again."

I took her to the register and gave her the obligatory talk on after care and what she should and what she shouldn't do in the next few days. She nodded along and listened closely.

After she left the store, I turned around to the new person who was waiting patiently and looked at the pictures of the tattoos on my walls. "Can I help you?"

The first thing I noticed about the man was that he was pretty tall and had bleached blonde hair that fell into his face as he turned around. He was wearing sunglasses despite being indoors. Strange. But not as strange as some other customers so I shrugged it off.

But he seemed familiar. Had I tattooed him some time already? A quick scan of his body told me that no, I couldn't find anything.

"I uh, wanted to get uh, a tattoo. Do you accept walk ins?" He stuttered shyly. Aww. And I had heard his voice somewhere already. This was getting slightly creepy.

Shaking the feeling off, I nodded with a friendly smile. "Sure. Do you have decided on a tattoo already or do you want me to design you one?"

The skinny man took out a folded picture from his jeans pocket and handed it to me. "I'd like this please."

I opened it, my professional smile turning into a huge grin. I knew this spider, it was from the newest album of My Chemical Romance that had come out a few weeks ago.

Already going to my computer to scan it, I asked with a playful tone: "So you're a mychem fan too? The album's pretty awesome, right?"

To reasons unknown to me, the man chuckled, seeming to have lost his shyness. "I would say so."

Confused, I looked up at him. What should that-oh fuck. How could I be so blind? It was my favourite band and I didn't recognise its bassist? What was wrong with me?

Mikey fucking Way wanted me to tattoo his newest album's cover on him.

Fuck, stay calm.

Stay calm and don't hyperventilate.

Just a human being like you and me. Nothing special- okay many things special.

I heard him giggle and decided to not do the -you know- normal thing of maybe a bit fangirling or something and instead stared him down. But it wasn't very effective because I was blushing madly. Very professional.