there's a voice in my head that sounds like you

I first met Mikey at I think a year. Our mothers met each other in a grocery store and started talking (yes, I knew how ridiculous it sounded but they bonded over the fact that kids were exhausting, surprise surprise). Soon, a playdate was arranged so the mommies could chat while the kids played.

My first memory was actually with Mikey and it was of us playing with Gerard's cars who gave them to us because he wanted to play with Frankie and we kept annoying him. We were about three at that time. Most of the time we talked silently to each other.

-

At six, I first learned that it wasn't normal to be able to talk to your best friend in your head. Of course, I got worried and went to my Mom who just smiled knowingly and told me not to worry about it.

"Y/Nnnn?" Mikey's voice echoed in my head as I was about to fall asleep.

"Mikeyyy?" I questioned back as I cuddled my teddy bear that he had given me for my fifth birthday. It had a little ribbon around its neck and Mikey had told me that there was my name on it. I carried it around with me for a month straight to the point my mommy had to take it away to wash it. Mikey comforted me as we sat in front of the washing machine and saw it spin inside.

It was silent for a moment on the other end. I felt that he had something important to say. "Gee made me fear school because he said that you have to do really hard work when you come home. But I wanna play with you when I'm home."

Tomorrow would be our first day of school and we both were nervous. So I thought about what Mikey said intensely before I gave him an answer. "But Gee also said that there are breaks. We can play during the breaks and maybe if we ask nicely we don't have to do so much work. Mommy always says that most things are easier when you're friendly."

"Okay. Goodnight Y/N."

"Goodnight, Mikey. See you tomorrow," I told him and cuddled under my covers, Mikey most likely doing the same in his own bed.

-

At thirteen, we learned about soulmates and how you would hear their voice in your head. A girl in class told proudly how her parents had explained this to her and Mikey and I simultaneously thought "oh" while we looked at each other dumbfounded.

Soulmates? We?

After our teacher had given us a lengthy explanation to all of that, Mikey and I met up at his house and were laying on his bed opposite from each other.

"So we're soulmates," Mikey stated and looked at me kind of nervously.

I nodded just as nervous. "Weird."

He sighed and played with his hair. He was coming his fingers through them and I sudden had the urge to touch his hair and smooth it back down. "I mean you always made me feel safe and all that. Guess that's because of the soulmate-thingy."

"Yeah, I feel the same. What are we then?" I wanted to know insecurely. I knew that we were best friends but there was this weird tummy feeling with him and I had to admit that I really liked him. I had blamed it on our friendship but it was more.

Mikey thought about that for a while and then sat up. "We can be a couple if you want to. Like holding hands and all that stuff."

"Sounds good."

We were silent again but now, we were back to our normal silence and not the awkward tense one that had been between us for the whole day.

-

At fourteen, Mikey kissed me for the first time. For the start of our new found relationship, almost nothing had changed, we just started to show our affection even more. The Hand-Holding was now more prominent though Mikey got teased for it a bit at school. But he just gripped my hand tighter and held his head up a little higher.