Shivaay broke the hug. They were still holding hands and Annika was holding it tight. He pulled out his handkerchief and wiped some nonexistent sweat from his forehead.

"Annika can we please not talk about him? I want some time with my wife," Shivaay held her arms.

The wife card was played well. She gave him a nice smile and offered, "Lunch?"

***

Then came Thursday. The past two days saw no conversation regarding Dev's matter between Annika and Shivaay. Annika did see Dev in her class on Wednesday, but they both ignored each other like the mature adults they were.

She reached Shivaay's office just in time for them to catch his appointment. She had no idea what these routine checkups were being the business student she was. She just felt happy that he considered her such an intimate part of his life to ask her to accompany him to these.

***

Annika seemed more nervous than Shivaay when the latter was checked for metals in his body, got changed into a loose shirt and pants and the nurse set up an IV through his palm. Seeing her like this, he touched her cheeks with his free hand and assured, "This is just routine check-up. I have been in this position a bunch of times in the past. You are worrying needlessly."

Annika sighed and grabbed his arm with both of hers. "For you, it's not new," she said, "For me, it's my first time. I have always associated hospitals and clinics with accidents and grave diseases. Seeing you like this, I can't help."

"Don't worry"

"Why not? And this is not some sort of surgery, right? Why are they administering anesthesia?" she seemed to be complaining about the fact.

"During MRIs, you have to be straight from head to toe for forty five minutes. Once I entered the room without anesthesia and they saw four eyeballs in my orbit MRI."

Both of them laughed at that.

"You have so many things going on," she commented.

"I know right, you are stuck with this patient for life," he replied.

Shivaay saw her frowned and assured her once again, "After the third time you accompany me like this, this is going to be normal for you. Your definition of hospital will change."

Annika smiled.

"Now let me warn you," he turned serious, "Due to anesthesia, I turn a bit cranky for the next few days. Whatever I do, whatever I say, please be mindful of that. I will take care of my behavior afterward, I promise."

She shook her head. Shivaay played with her hand that was in his. He never cared enough to warn someone about his behavior in advance. And he did not care at all to tell the person that he was going to try to amend things afterward.

He placed a kiss on the back of her palm. With her, he and his life changed way more than he would have preferred before marriage.

Soon Shivaay was taken in the cold room to get his MRIs done. Annika was left bored for the next two hours.

***

It took forty-five minutes to get the MRI done, but a little more than two hours to wake up. She was right beside him when he woke up. And it took no more than two minutes for him to rush inside the washroom. Annika understood the drill by then. Perhaps next time, she won't feel as nervous as she felt today.

She offered to drive on their ride back home. As much as he insisted on driving himself, Annika knew he was in no situation to drive himself and that's what the brochures in the hospital said as well.