3.5 - The Art Gallery & the Question

(A/N: At this point, I'm really hoping that most of my readers are female 'cus this is going to take a little turn that kind of requires it. If you identify as a male, feel free to... twist the words that are said later on so they make sense for your gender. You'll see what I mean at the end, hehe.)

Part 3
-
Chapter 5

///

You can tell that Killua is trying to be laid back. Or maybe he's not trying, maybe he's naturally chill.

The tense nature that you observed when he came to your training with Illumi could have been apparent because of the circumstances. Maybe he grows tense in the presence of his older brother. You wonder about that for a moment, then remember that you are in the middle of a conversation. Killua is staring at you, waiting for an answer.

"What about Illumi?" you ask, relaxing into a stance that shows your welcoming to the topic of talk.

Killua must decide to go with the blunt approach, because without a moment's hesitation, he inquires, "Do you love him?"

"Oh. Cutting right to the chase, are we." You maintain eye contact, but struggle, because the question brings an embarrassed flush to your cheeks. "Why are you asking?"

"I'm wondering. For the families sake."

Killua's words are lies, but you are oblivious. In truth, Killua is not asking because he is concerned for the family, he is asking because he wants to know if Illumi might be hiding some humane part of himself from the rest of the Zoldycks. But he is curious, that much is true: is Illumi capable of a bond as strong as love, or will his version of love always be deformed and cruel?

You do not know how to respond.

Are you supposed to just go around saying that you are in love with Illumi Zoldyck now? Is it a thing? Why do people even care to ask; why should this affect the Zoldyck family?

"There are a number of ways I could choose to answer that," you begin, avoiding the question with pointless explanation. "I could just lie, entirely, but even then, I wouldn't know if I was lying. The answer evades even myself sometimes, so to give you an answer, I wouldn't know if I was being honest or not. Does this information satisfy you?"

Killua does not respond for a moment—his eyes glare into yours, but hold a touch of understanding. It's a look that makes you want to shiver and smile at the same time.

"I'll be leaving the house tomorrow. Gon and I are attending a festival in Yorknew that might prove to be exciting," he says.

You smile a bit, wondering faintly why he feels the need to tell you this. "Sounds fun."

"Yes, I'm sure it will be." He then turns his head to the left and says, "Don't worry, I'm not going to kill her."

You frown a bit and follow Killua's gaze. He's looking at... nothing, or so you think. Out from behind a corner steps Illumi. He is close enough so that you can see the flatness of his features, but not the small cut on his bicep. His posture is as straight as usual, steps slow and short, since he is in no rush.

"Very funny, Kil," Illumi says. His voice is as cool, but you find yourself basking in it, savoring his every breath. He crosses his arms over his chest, one hand toying with a yellow needle. "Could you excuse (Y/N) and I for a moment? I wish to take her somewhere."