5.5 - Tiny, Confused Ripples

Chapter 5
-
Part 5

///

"How did Faith go?"

"Good."

Machi stares at Chrollo, who does not further elaborate on his trip to Faith at all (as a reminder, Machi did not go to Faith with the Troupe). Her arms are crossed over her chest and her eyes are narrow, but not to the point where she looks suspicious. She looks thoughtful.  "Good," she says.

Chrollo sits down next to Machi on the oblong stone that she has taken to. "Did anything happen while we were gone?" he asks.

"Illumi imploded."

Chrollo pauses. "What does that mean?"

Machi pauses, unsure of how to answer. She could hardly explain herself even if she tried. All of her thoughts about Illumi have been entirely dependent on hunches—something building up inside of him; feeling the need to warn Hisoka about staying away from (Y/N); the final implosion.

Suddenly, she regrets bringing Illumi up, because she doesn't know how to explain herself. "Nothing. It doesn't concern you."

To this, Chrollo does not respond. He looks at his fingernails; out of curiosity, Machi follows his gaze. Chrollo's finger nails are caked in a reddish brown substance, probably blood. He starts to pick at them, but the blood appears to have stained the skin there.

"Have you killed (Y/N) yet."

Machi looks at Chrollo's eyes now. "Was I supposed to?" she asks dully.

"Of course."

"Why?"

"She killed Feitan."

"Illumi killed Feitan."

"Yes, but he also took Feitan's spot, which means that we cannot kill him." Chrollo takes a moment to stop picking his nails so he can stare at Machi with those hateful eyes of his. "Thus, we kill (Y/N)."

As much as Machi would love to kill (Y/N)... "That was Feitan's fault, for being weak."

"Fine." Chrollo stands up. "I'll kill her myself."

Shock passes over Machi's features. He isn't making any sense. "Right now?" she asks, standing up only seconds after him. Her eyes drill into the back of his head; he doesn't walk away, he just stands there with his back to Machi. "It's a waste of time."

"Tell me." Chrollo turns his head slowly over his shoulder. His face, as always, is entirely expressionless. "Does Illumi love her?"

For a moment, Machi says nothing. She is not sure where all of this is coming from; the only reason Chrollo could come to that conclusion would be obsession. He must have been thinking about Illumi saving (Y/N)'s life, wondering why a Zoldyck would do such a thing for someone who isn't family.

Chrollo wants to get back at Illumi for killing one of his most beloved members, so he wants to kill the one most beloved to Illumi.

Machi's eyes widen. No, that can't be possible. Chrollo would only want revenge on Illumi if the Zoldyck directly harmed him. Feitan's death did nothing to hurt Chrollo, it only wounded the Troupe as a whole. Chrollo doesn't care about the Troupe's whole; their members are always dying and changing. So why does he care now?

Machi still hasn't answered Chrollo. In truth, she doesn't know how to. She has never been more confused in her life.

Luckily, Chrollo turns his gaze away from the girl to pick at his nails again. "You seem to have reached a conclusion. Am I right?"