Chapter 22

Faba was in a panic, especially with all the pokemon giving him angry looks. He was working hard on getting the communications up, along with fixing the device that opened the wormhole. It had malfunctioned, which is why the portal closed so abruptly behind the pair. He had to work fast to be able to help the trainers trapped in Nihilego's world.

"Hang on, young Master Gladion, Miss Chloe!" he shouted, trying to reassure himself and the pokemon. "I'll have you out in no time!"

Chloe's pokemon had all come out of their pokeballs, joining Gladion's team. They were all very worried. Salazzle and Silvally were anxiously pacing and crying for Faba to hurry it up. The others were all sitting by, constantly waiting for a sign or something to let them know their trainers were okay. Tyrantrum, after having made peace with the present time he's in, laid quietly, flicking his tail while Zoroark and Braviary comforted him and kept him calm as best they could. He had gotten stronger, no longer rampaging whenever Chloe wasn't with him.

"Salazz lazz salazzle!" the lizard pokemon called furiously to Faba. "Sa lazzle!"

"I'm working on it!" the man yelled back. "I can't rush too much and mess this up." After a few more minutes, he grinned. "I think I've done it! Now, to test whether I can reach the young master when he's a world away."

~~~~~

Chloe groaned softly, clutching her rumbling stomach. Hours had passed, and they still hadn't been able to reach Faba, though the girl had fortunately recovered in that time. The two were getting hungry now, and as it turns out, the strange berries Lucario found weren't quite edible for humans. It gave the girl a grim thought.

"No wonder my parents lost their lives in this place," she mumbled, sorrow and fear in her eyes. "It must've been terrifying for them."

Lucario rested his paw over her hand, giving her a reassuring look. She managed to smile thanks to him. She then looked over at Gladion, who was still pacing and attempting to reach Faba.

"Gladion." His gaze landed on the redhead. "You're going to wear yourself out. Come sit down."

With a sigh, he did just that, taking a seat on the ground beside Chloe. "We should've gotten home by now. I'm sorry, I'm just...out of ideas."

A sad smile tugged at the girl's lips. "Don't apologize, it's not your fault." She leaned over to kiss his cheek. "At least we're together." She looked at Lucario and wrapped an arm around him, pulling him into a hug. "All of us."

Gladion tried to be optimistic as well. "If anything, at least we found Lucario. I just wish there was something we could do..." He trailed off, his eyes widening upon hearing static through his earpiece.

"Mas...Gla...on..." Faba's voice faded in and out.

"Faba? Is that you?" the boy asked, hoping for a clearer response.

"...ster...dion..." He was still breaking up, but through the static, his voice steadily became clearer. "Maste...Gladi...Master Gladion!"

A smile broke out on the blond's face. "Faba! I hear you!"

"What a relief! I'm terribly sorry, young Master, the devices I made for communications and opening the wormhole malfunctioned! But it seems I've successfully got them working again! Are you both all right?"

"We're okay, and we found Lucario too. All we need is to get out of here. Can you open up another Ultra Wormhole?" He noticed both his girlfriend and the pokemon had perked up, listening attentively.

"Of course, I'll have it open in mere moments. It should be in the general area where you first entered that world."

"We'll be there. See you on the other side, Faba." Silence fell, and Gladion looked to the others. "There will be a wormhole for us to pass through back where we first entered this world. Are you both ready?"