Chapter 19

The sounds of battle filled the air around the Ruins of Hope. When Chloe and Gladion arrived, there were five Nihilego floating around, locked in combat with Tapu Fini and Hapu's Mudsdale.

"Mudsdale, use High Horsepower!"

The pokemon glowed orange and slammed into a Nihilego. At the same time, Tapu Fini used Hydro Pump to wash away three of the beasts. But one Nihilego had snuck around the Kahuna, and was approaching her from behind. As soon as they were close enough, Silvally came out on its own.

"Crush Claw, Silvally!" the blond shouted.

Silvally leapt in, its glowing claws slashing the Ultra Beast. Hapu spun around in an instant, recognizing the pokemon and its trainer from their Grand Trial in the past.

"Hey, it's Gladion!" She turned her attention back to her current battle. "Didn't know if Aether was going to lend a hand or not."

"We heard about the situation," Gladion explained, he and Chloe hopping off Braviary. "Where did these Nihilego come from?"

Hapu pointed toward the ruins. "An Ultra Wormhole opened up right outside the Ruins of Hope. Tapu Fini and I are trying to get them back through it."

"Then let us help," the redhead chimed in. "Tyrantrum, come on out!" She tossed the pokeball, releasing the prehistoric pokemon, who gave a mighty roar. "We need more muscle if we're going to send them back through that wormhole."

One of the Nihilego immediately targeted Tyrantrum, using Acid Spray. The purple plumes of poison were heading right for him. Gladion was quick to pull something out of his satchel.

"Silvally, take this memory and defend Tyrantrum!"

The disk drive on the side of Silvally's head opened up, recieving the disc its trainer tossed. The pokemon's crest, eyes, and tail all became grey in color. It jumped in front of Tyrantrum, taking the Acid Spray instead, which had no effect.

Chloe stared in astonishment. "What was that? How'd Silvally do that?"

Gladion flashed her a smile. "Using memory discs, Silvally can change its type. It's a steel type now, so poison-type moves have no effect. Now, use Multi-Attack!"

Silvally glowed with a silver-grey aura, charging in to swipe at the beast, scoring a direct hit. Nihilego gave a pained cry as it went down, only for another one to come rushing in. Silvally just barely managed to avoid getting caught in its tendrils.

"Tyrantrum, Dragon Tail!"

As Silvally jumped out of the way, Tyrantrum moved in, his tail glowing green. He swung his tail around, knocking the beast away. He glanced at Silvally, and the two both gave a small nod of recognition. Tapu Fini finished the rest of the Nihilego off with another Hydro Pump, sending the Ultra Beasts fleeing back through the wormhole before it closed up. The three trainers thanked their pokemon before returning them.

Hapu looked at the pair with a smile, her hands on her hips. "Thanks for the help you two! That Ultra Wormhole really appeared out of nowhere." She hummed, her smile fading. "I guess that's why you're here, isn't it?"

Gladion nodded. "That's right. Nihilego has been popping up across Alola. This is the first time we've seen so many though, and we still don't know why wormholes keep opening in the first place."

A brief silence fell over them until Hapu looked at the redhead. "And who are you? Are you a challenger?"

Chloe immediately stiffened at her assumption. "N-no, I'm just helping Gladion with the Ultra Beast problem. My name's Chloe." Her eyes drifted over to Tapu Fini, who appeared to be staring at her. "Poni Island's guardian...also came to help."