Prologue

Lightning crackled across the sky while rain poured from the dark clouds above. The screams and cries of people and pokemon could be heard over the downpour. Po Town was being overrun by the gang known as Team Skull. The big boss himself had decided to take the town as the hideout for his group. He walked up the street with his Golisopod, a devious smirk plastered on his face as his grunts overwhelmed anyone who tried to put up a fight. He caught sight of his newly appointed admin, Plumeria, defeating a trainer with her Salandit, forcing them to flee like everyone else.

Before long, the place was completely devoid of people. Every single resident had been chased out. Guzma laughed in victory while grunts already began spray painting houses and sidewalks, letting everyone know that was their turf now.

"Boss!"

Guzma ceased his laughter, watching as a couple of his underlings came running over in a panic.

"Yo, we found something we think you outta see, Boss!" the blue-haired guy said.

The pink-haired girl nodded frantically. "It's real messed up, man!"

Guzma frowned and crossed his arms. "What are you numskulls talking about? Show me."

The grunts led Guzma and his Golisopod to a single house down the street. Oddly enough, it was completely covered in vines. Guzma paused, staring in surprise.

"We tried getting inside, but every time we burn or cut the vines, they just grow back!" the male grunt explained.

"And we tried slipping past the vines, but every door and window is completely barred!" the female added.

Guzma huffed and approached the front door. "Golisopod, Liquidation."

Golisopod moved in front of him, a blade made of water forming within its claws. It repeatedly slashed at the vines, cutting them to pieces. Before they could grow back, Golisopod slammed into the door, busting it down and allowing it and Guzma to step inside. The two grunts gathered in the door to see, but what was before them was shocking.

Tapu Bulu was there, in the middle of the ransacked living room. It was the source of the vines. Under the Tapu laid an unconscious little girl, her red hair disheveled and her dress lightly tattered.

"Buluuu..."

The Tapu floated there, staring straight at Guzma. It didn't seem to be angry or ready for a battle. So why was it there? Everyone stood frozen, unsure of what to say or do.

"What the...?" Guzma muttered.

As if in response, Tapu Bulu darted straight toward them. The grunts scrambled out of the way, and Golisopod grabbed Guzma, pulling him aside right as the Tapu went shooting past and out the door, flying away. Golisopod released its trainer, who finally shifted his gaze to the girl on the floor. She was so young, probably no more than six or seven. And oddly enough, there was no one else around, as if she'd been left there all alone. Golisopod followed Guzma's gaze to the girl, slowly approaching her.

"Goli...so..."

It moved one of its claws gently across her cheek, as if caressing it. It seemed to have taken a liking to her. Something about her just interested it. Guzma went to his pokemon's side, staring down at the child.

"It's like...the Tapu was protecting her or something." Guzma hummed. "But why? What makes this runt so special? And where's her family? Did they leave her?" He thought for a moment, coming up with an idea. "What do you think, Golisopod? Should we take her with us? She could end up being useful."

Golisopod nodded. "Goli."

Guzma crouched down, gathering the child in his arms and lifting her up. He carried her out of the ransacked house, finding Plumeria and several grunts rushing over to him, all looking surprised.

"Boss..." Plumeria said. "What's going on? Who's the kid?"

Guzma glanced down at the child. "Beats me. But the Tapu was protecting her, so there's gotta be something special about this runt." He grinned. "Besides, we may be bad to the bone, but we ain't so cold-hearted to leave a little kid like that. Who knows, she might make a valuable member of Team Skull."

Guzma carried the girl down to the far end of town, his pokemon and his underlings following him into the mansion. It looked like the best place to take up residence at---big enough for all the grunts to stay there.

Stepping into the foyer, Guzma looked around, grinning at the interior. "This will do nicely."

The grunts immediately spread out, exploring their new hideout. They spray painted everywhere, wrecked things they didn't like, and claimed ownership over certain beds in the multiple downstairs bedrooms. With Plumeria and Golisopod trailing behind him, Guzma went up to the second floor, searching the rooms. There was one particular bedroom that was untouched by the grunts, and it had cute little pokemon dolls on the bed.

Guzma gently laid her down, looking at Plumeria. "See if you can get her some new clothes."

With a single nod, Plumeria left. Guzma spent a short while just standing there beside the bed. Golisopod, oddly enough, stayed close to the girl, leaning over her and soothingly rubbing her cheek with its claw.

"What's gotten into you?" Guzma asked it. "You already attached to this runt or something? That's not like you."

"Goliso so."

It was strange, Golisopod did feel an odd attachment to the child. Something about her just attracted pokemon, and made them feel the need to watch over her. It wasn't long until the girl began to stir, her eyes fluttering open to meet the gaze of the large pokemon leaning over her. Her eyes were a pretty crimson color to match her hair. A small smile graced her lips as she reached her small hand up, gently grasping Golisopod's claw.

"About time you woke up, kid." The girl turned her head to look at the man standing beside her bed. He was dressed in black and white, and his hair was messy. "Now give me some answers. What's your name? How old are you?"

The child slowly sat up. "My name is Chloe, and I just recently turned six years old."

"Yeah, yeah, now tell me what happened."

The girl tilted her head to the side, confused. "What do you mean?"

Guzma crossed his arms. "I mean exactly that. What happened? You were all by yourself and in bad shape, and the Tapu was there with you."

Chloe hummed, not recalling any of that. "Really? The Tapu? I don't remember any of that." She suddenly noticed the pokemon dolls on her bed and excitedly looked around. "Hey, is this my room?! The dolls are so cuuute!"

Guzma stared at her in shock. She doesn't remember... Did she lose her memory?

"Hey, mister?" Guzma was snapped out of his thoughts by the little girl's squeaky voice. She was still holding Golisopod's claw as if it were her best friend. "Um, who are you?"

Guzma grinned, standing tall. "Me? I'm the hated boss who beats you down, and beats you down, and never lets up... Yeah. It's your boy, Guzma!"

Chloe excitedly jumped up off the bed, beaming brightly up at him. "Whoa! You're so cool! I bet you're really strong too, I can tell by Golisopod!"

Guzma laughed. "Finally, someone that recognizes my power! What do yoy say, kid? Why don't you join my group, Team Skull, and I'll teach you how to be strong too."

Chloe enthusiastically nodded. "Yeah! I wanna join! I wanna be a strong member of Team Skull!" She suddenly latched onto his leg, hugging him. "Thank you, Guzma, sir! I'll do my best, I promise!"

Guzma was taken aback by her hug, but somehow, it made him smile. "Yeah, don't worry about it, kid." He ruffled her already messy hair. "You won't let me down...I'm sure of that."