Chapter 15

The flight to Mount Hokulani didn't go quite as expected, for Gladion got some bad news from Faba through his earpiece. Nihilego was in the area. The date would have to be put on hold.

Chloe groaned in annoyance. "This would happen now. I was looking forward to seeing the Minior."

Gladion sighed. "I know, but we can't let Nihilego get away this time. If we could just catch it and send it back to its own world, we could be done with this." He leaned around the girl to look at her, seated behind her on Braviary. "Don't try to approach it this time. It's proven to be aggressive."

Chloe nodded. "Right. This time, it's a fight. As much as I want to help Nihilego, defeating it is all we can do right now."

Wave after wave of anger suddenly washed over Chloe, followed by pokemon cries. The two directed their attention down to the path that led up to the observatory. There, they spotted a flock of Skarmory surrounding the invading Nihilego. Upon getting a closer look, there was something wrapped in the beast's tentacles.

"It's got a young Skarmory!" the redhead cried, pointing to the smaller bird pokemon trapped by the Nihilego. "And the flock is trying to save it! We have to help! Braviary, Steel Wing!"

Braviary swooped down amidst the chaos, his wings glowing white. With the beast focused on the Skarmory, it didn't notice the shiny pokemon diving in. Braviary's wing slashed across Nihilego, causing it to cry out in pain. Chloe could feel the fear from the captive Skarmory alongside the anger of the flock and the Nihilego. But even after the attack, the Ultra Beast only tightened its hold on the Skarmory, using Constrict.

The two trainers hopped off their ride as they neared the ground, and Gladion growled. "It's not working! It only tightened its grip!" Silvally came out of its pokeball, growling at the beast.

Chloe could tell the flock was worried for the captive Skarmory, and she got an idea. "We need to aim for its tentacles! Braviary!"

"You too, Silvally!"

"Use Crush Claw!" they shouted in unison.

Silvally's claws and Braviary's talons glowed red, and they both rushed in, each aiming for one of Nihilego's tentacles. As soon as their attacks landed, the beast finally released the young Skarmory.

"Now's your chance, Skarmory!" Chloe told the flock. "Team up and chase this Ultra Beast away! Braviary, Steel Wing!"

Many of the Skarmory followed Braviary's lead, using Steel Wing. They each swooped in, landing hit after hit on the beast. Nihilego finally let out a pained cry, weakened by the onslaught. Gladion had to hold back Silvally, allowing Chloe the chance to speak.

"Nihilego." The redhead's expression softened as she kneeled to hug the young Skarmory. "Stop this. Let us help you."

The Ultra Beast gave a ghostly chitter before its body started fading away. In mere moments, it disappeared. The two trainers and all the pokemon looked around, but there was no sign of Nihilego.

"Faba," Gladion spoke through the earpiece. "Nihilego just vanished. Got any readings?"

"I'm afraid not," the man answered. "It's signal just dropped off the radar. It's possible that it was pulled back to its own world. Sometimes, even without the use of any wormholes, a living thing will be forced back to its own realm. It's a means of time and space trying to correct itself, so to speak."

The blond gasped softly. "But...how is that possible? The Nihilego came out of an Ultra Wormhole. In the past, the Ultra Beasts had to return to their worlds via wormholes. Why isn't that the case here?"