Chapter 24: Drown Her

Start from the beginning

Out of the corner of his eye, he saw the bubble burst after filling up completely, Annabeth clawing at her throat and struggling for air in the ocean. Percy was powerless so he couldn't form another around her.

But he wasn't entirely out of options yet.

"You're wrong," Percy whispered, reaching into his pocket and feeling the two hidden objects inside. He looked up to look Vormver in the eyes. "Everyone thinks I'm powerful, but everyone's mistake is that they forget that I don't lack in intelligence."

He grabbed Riptide from his pocket and threw it at Vormver who yelled and dodged, buying Percy just enough time to swim over and grab Annabeth away from Vormver. He took out the Nightlace and fed it to her, grateful that Annabeth was still conscious enough to swallow.

He heard Vormver's scream of pure rage but Percy's job was done. His heart was racing so quickly he thought it might jump out of his chest but it was done.

Annabeth gasped for air as her legs transformed into a shimmering violet tail.

She was now a mermaid.

Percy couldn't help but gape at her. She looked beautiful. He knew it wasn't the right moment but he couldn't help it. Her blonde hair had escaped its usual ponytail and floated around her but her stormy grey eyes were what brought him back to his senses. They were filled with rage and promised violence. Percy was just glad he wasn't on the receiving end of it.

"You cheater," Vormver laughed softly. "I guess we keep underestimating each other, don't we. Just when we thought we were done, more surprises keep popping up."

"I just didn't want to play by your rules," Percy said, not wanting to let on that the Nightlace was his last card and he was out of tricks. He just hoped that Vormver was out of tricks as well. He felt in his pocket and found that thanks to whatever magic in the world, Riptide was back in his pocket. "And now we're done playing."

"You're right," Vormver said. He thrust both hands out, darkness swarming around them and morphing into twin wicked looking blades.

Percy quickly took Riptide out, the bronze sword visibly smaller than Vormver's blades but it would do. Beside him, Annabeth gestured for a weapon. Percy knew better than to tell her to save herself and leave him. He wouldn't deny her the chance for revenge either. Percy handed her the trident, choosing Riptide for himself. As if in confirmation, the bronze hilt felt warm in his hands.

"I gave you an easy way out, to hand over your power to me and I would let both of you go." Vormver's eyes gleamed in anticipation. "And now I'll just have to beat you up to get what I want."

Percy charged and swung his sword, connecting with Vormver's own blades with a loud clang that rang in his ears. He was aware of Annabeth attacking from the other side but Vormver had centuries of practice, his sword-fighting skills were out of the world.

Percy dodged a blow that missed merely by a few inches but it made him unstable, causing him to fall on his feet. Vormver took the chance to slash his sword down on him. Percy quickly rolled away but the sword managed to slice open a deep gash his abdomen. Percy hissed in pain as golden immortal blood flowed out. Because his powers were weakened, his wounds closed slower and he could feel the wound straining to heal.

"You cannot beat me," Vormver said. "You have no idea what you're up against."

"Just shut up," Annabeth cried, slamming the trident against Vormver's blades.

"Silly girl," Vormver laughed, deflecting her blows easily while Percy struggled to stand straight. Annabeth was keeping Vormver busy, but for how long?