Chapter 5: Mermaids and Atlantis

Percy had expected some form of chaos in his father's palace due to the urgency in Zeus and Amphitrite's earlier words but Atlantis seemed… peaceful.

The underwater city hadn't changed much. It still remained as beautiful as ever with its shimmering underwater cities and palace, decorated with sea glass and various underwater gemstones. Sea creatures and merpeople could be seen swimming around in clusters, talking and laughing.

Zeus had an air bubble wrapped around him as he descended deeper into the ocean, thanks to Amphitrite's underwater powers. Percy and Amphitrite on the other hand didn't require air bubbles and could breath just fine underwater. 

To his surprise, no one questioned his arrival or even spared him a second glance upon his arrival. Everyone just minded their own business, doing what they were supposed to do. Until Amphitrite descended. The few who were closest to her bowed slightly then continued on their way.

Percy frowned at the calm atmosphere, everyone perfectly at ease. No one seemed to care that their king had passed. Or—

Did they even know Poseidon was dead?

"They know," Amphitrite said, answering his unasked question that clearly shone in his eyes. "The day Poseidon… passed, a wave of his power could be felt throughout the ocean, a blast so strong everyone felt it. It was his last surge of power," she whispered, sadness clouding her features.

"You will have a meeting with Poseidon's underwater council tomorrow," Zeus informed. "For today, you will have one day to go anywhere you want and get used to Atlantis before the next day becomes the busiest day you'll ever have."

Percy slumped, defeated but he nodded. Amphitrite whistled suddenly and he noticed a figure swimming towards him. It was a mermaid. His eye widened for a second, wondering if she was Sylvia, the mermaid he was betrothed too but Amphitrite shook her head.

The mermaid came in front of him, giving him a huge smile and a slight bow. Percy immediately thought she looked really cute. But the first thing he noticed was her tail, it was a shimmering blue and the fins were just a shade lighter. Beads and crystals were decorated on her tail like jewelry. Her bright blue eyes shone with curiosity as she looked at him. Her brown curls floated slightly in the water, creating a waterfall of cascading brown locks to her mid back. A silver diadem was woven into her hair, making her look like a princess.

"My name is Noa," she said, her voice sweet with a hint of mischief. The slight mischievous smirk she gave him make Percy like her instantly. "And I'm your sort of personal adviser, nice to meet you."

Percy gave a smirk back. "Nice to meet you too, I'm—"

"Please," Noa laughed. "Of course I know who you are. You're Percy Jackson, you and your friends did a great thing saving the world from Gaia."

Percy blinked. "Thanks I guess," Percy said, laughing slightly. Immediately, he began to relax. Noa seemed like a nice and fun person, well mermaid. He liked that she didn't stare at him in awe like most new and even old demigods did. Instead, she treated him like an equal or a friend even though he didn't know her… yet.

"I'll leave Noa to show you around and she'll be your companion for the rest of your stay," Amphitrite said. "If you have anything, just ask her. She knows almost everything you are required to know. And she will prepare you for everything."

Percy nodded and Amphitrite left with Zeus, both of them whispering in harsh voices but Percy couldn't hear a word they were saying. 

Percy turned to Noa who was quietly observing him. "Must be fun to be a mermaid, huh?" he said with a slight curiousity.