Chapter 1: Testament and Will of Poseidon

Note that this story is set after The Heroes of Olympus series and before the Trials of Apollo. So the characters who did not die in the hoo series, are currently alive here. (Those who have read The Burning Maze will understand.)

Enjoy! XD

"Poseidon is dead

"Poseidon is dead. I'm sorry Percy."

The realization took a second to hit and when it finally did, Percy's heart plummeted in his chest, his breath knocked out of him in an instant.

"What...?" he asked, shock etched deep into his face.

Percy couldn't believe it, Chiron's words sounding foreign in his mind. He was aware of Annabeth squeezing his hand in hers, her eyes shining with sympathy, though shock was equally evident on her face. Percy could tell she didn't really believe it either.

He had woken up that morning to a bad feeling that made him sick to the stomach but he couldn't tell what it was. But when the grim-faced Will Solace came up to him, telling him Chiron was looking for him, he had quickly called Annabeth, not wanting to receive whatever bad news that was waiting for him alone. Now, however, he began to regret that decision because not even Annabeth's warm, comforting hand in his could soothe the raging storm that erupted inside.

How foolish of him to think it was just another prophecy waiting to be fulfilled. And just when he thought life was starting to get better.

"How?" Percy demanded, his voice ragged. "When? Why?"

"It happened last night," Chiron said, his face sad and full of sympathy for Percy. "He... he was stabbed in the heart, with a dagger when he was asleep."

"How?!" Percy demanded again. "How could someone just kill a god in their sleep? And how can a mere dagger harm a god, much less kill one?!"

"It wasn't a normal dagger," Chiron quickly explained. "It was filled with black magic, sorcery, poison, it was nothing the gods had ever seen. It was so powerful it killed Poseidon. I'm really sorry, Percy."

"Where's the dagger?" Percy demanded. "And who made it, and why?"

Annabeth squeezed his hand tighter, but Percy shrugged her away. He was too agitated right now to feel any guilt about that. "Your father has many enemies as a god, Percy," Annabeth said. "Anyone could be possible."

Chiron nodded in agreement. "And after Poseidon was stabbed, all traces of magic was wiped away, leaving a normal dagger behind. There's no way to find out who created it."

"What are the gods doing?" Percy demanded. "Why can't anyone figure anything out?"

"This magic," Chiron said carefully. "We think this dark magic is beyond the gods. It's a different kind of power altogether and that's why no one can figure it out."

Percy shook his head in exasperation. He didn't know what to feel. An empty feeling filled his stomach. He felt weird but he wasn't... sad.

Not really.