Chapter 20: Confessions to Make

The Council had gathered quicker than Percy expected. Some of them wore confused looks but most of them looked merely annoyed. Percy wondered if they always wore the same expression when Poseidon rallied them every meeting.

"Give up so soon, kid?" Razir asked, laughing. A few sniggered along with him. "Time isn't up and you're already surrendering? I knew you were a coward, I didn't realize you give up so easily too."

Percy gritted his teeth to avoid snapping at Razir, all the while keeping a pleasant look on his face.

"From what I've heard, he doesn't even have a clue of what he's doing," Barthus snorted. "This seven-week trial is a waste of time, Naguel. Not one of your better decisions."

Naguel sent Barthus a glare so foul it shut him up immediately. "Have I ever done something for nothing?" he growled, impatience laced his voice like it always did when Percy demanded a meeting. "Speak, boy," he said, turning his glare onto Percy.

"There is a spy in the Council," Percy said, his face serious, portraying only certainty with no hint of laughter.

Murmurs ran through the Council. All of them bore disbelieving looks, even Triton looked dubious.

"This is a very big accusation, Percy," Triton warned. "All members have worked for this Council for at least a decade. What you're saying could cause an uproar."

"Do you even hear yourself, boy?" Razir demanded. "Do you think this is funny?"

"Do I look like I'm laughing?" Percy asked.

Razir took one look at Percy's serious face and paled. "You don't have any proof of this!"

"How dare you accuse us like this?" Willa asked, her face ashen.

The others began to claim their innocence and the absurdity of the situation too. No one wanted to believe a spy was amongst them. Percy knew this was a risky move, revealing his knowledge of the demon spy amongst them. If things went wrong, Percy would be dead quicker than possible but at this point, he believed the spy needed him alive for whatever grand plan was coming and he was willing to bet on it.

He couldn't play by their games anymore, so it was time they played by his game.

He made his move.

And now it was the spy's turn.

"I didn't come here to accuse anyone... yet," Percy said. "During the last meeting, I failed to mention this because I didn't want to arouse the spy's attention, but now I've decided to reveal this little detail."

"Little?" Razir demanded. "Accusing someone here of being a spy is a little detail?"

"You are very agitated, Razir," Gemina observed, frowning.

"And you act too calm!"

Arguments started as the Council began to accuse and defend each other. Only Naguel was silent, his eyes moving from member to member and finally landing on Percy who stared back, hard, not willing to back down, not anymore.

"SILENCE!" Naguel yelled when Percy refused to drop his gaze. He turned back to the Council. "You've let this boy drive a wedge between us. You want to have a civil war amongst ourselves? Have you not contemplated that this boy might just be messing with us and there is no spy?"

Silence fell and Triton coughed. "You could also be hiding something by saying that, Naguel," Triton said. "After all, you've been denying Percy the throne ever since the announcement."

Naguel's face flamed red in anger. "How dare you—"

"How dare you?" Triton demanded, standing up and towering over Naguel. The Council fell silent immediately. "You forget who I am and you forget who you are. I may not be heir anymore but I am still Head of this Council. Do not act like you own this place."