Chapter 17: A Secret Buried Deep

Percy couldn't contain the sudden fear that rose out of him as soon as he returned to the safety of his chambers and the reality of what happened crashed into him.

A sea demon hybrid.

Percy didn't know what to think. If the sea demons were capable of breeding something so horrifying, something that could literally suck the life out of a person in seconds... What else had they bred over the years? What else have they plotted?

Percy shuddered, a chill snaking down his spine. The effects of the sweet substance Sylvia fed him had begun to wear off, his body immediately felt exhausted and a headache formed in his head.

"It'll be like this for a while, but it'll go away with time," Noa said, entering. She held a tray in her hands and on top of the tray was a silver bowl with a brown liquid inside. "This makes it go away quicker," she added, handing the bowl to Percy.

He frowned at the brown stuff, feeling disgusted. Gingerly, he took a sip and almost gagged at the revolting taste. It tasted exactly like the sickly sweet substance Noa fed him earlier. Sighing, he lifted the bowl to his lips and downed everything in a single gulp.

Noa laughed when Percy was done. "You should have seen the look on your face," she smiled, taking the bowl from him and putting it down onto the tray.

"It's disgusting," Percy complained, wiping his mouth. "What is it?"

"Psychoweed."

"It sounds as horrible as it tastes," Percy said, the taste still lingering in his mouth.

Noa laughed again. "It is said to clear hallucinations, calm someone, and give someone a boost of energy."

"Still tastes horrible," Percy said, making a face.

Noa grew serious. "What were you thinking, Percy?" she asked. "Were you trying to get yourself killed?"

"I got curious."

"You're the future king, Percy!" she cried, voice rising. "You don't just get to be curious anymore. You don't get to go on quests anymore. You don't go looking for danger! What do you think would happen if Sylvia wasn't there in time? I leave you on your own for a while and every single time something happens."

"I know!" Percy snapped, anger rising in him. "You think I don't know that my freedom has been robbed from me? That my every step right now has to be exactly calculated? I hate to tell you this, but I'm a demigod and I have ADHD and I can never sit still on a throne and act a good little king."

"You were a demigod," Noa said as calmly as possible but Percy could tell she wanted to snap back. "You are an immortal. You are just making excuses for your actions and you know it. You wanted to be King, if you want to convince the Council you can be a good one, you might as well act like one."

"Oh, I'm sorry," Percy said sarcastically. "I hate to disappoint you but I didn't strut up the throne and volunteer to be King or a god. I was forced to be King," Percy spat. "I don't have or want to prove anything. Especially not to Naguel."

"Naguel has done more for the Council than anyone has."

"So you're taking his side now?!"

"I'm saying you need to start acting responsibly!" Noa cried, throwing her hands up in frustration. "Not run around and putting yourself in danger while we have to save you every single time. You know you have a target on your back and yet you take ridiculous risks!"

"If you want to talk about responsibility then what were you doing the first time the sea demon hybrid almost entered my chambers?" Percy yelled.

Silence fell between them. Noa opened her mouth and closed it again, struggling for words. "I didn't see it enter, Percy. Are you sure—"