Eighteen

Courtney

So stupid. Why did I ever tell him how I feel? I haven't been able to even look at him ever since I told him. He thinks I'm crazy, doesn't he?

"Hey, Court," Olivia appeared next to me. "What's up with you? You look like a mess and you haven't even glanced towards Shayne. Did something happen?"

"Well, I told him how I feel about him the other night and-"

"He rejected you, didn't he? What else did he say? Something mean? Man, I should kick is damn ass"

"Olivia, stop! He didn't do anything wrong!"

"Oh, he didn't?"

"No, we talked about it. He said he doesn't know and I...well I don't know either"

"That doesn't really explain why you're avoiding him though"

"I'm scared. He seemed really surprised by what I said and...I'm just scared that he thinks it's weird and that it's changing something between us"

"Well, duh! Something's gonna change, but not because of what you said! It's because of something you aren't saying! Court, you gotta talk to him about this and actually ask him how he feels. You'll never find out if you stay away from the guy!"

"Yeah, I guess you're right. I can't do anything if I'm just gonna be scared of talking to him."

"Exactly. Now you go and find him and talk to him about this relationship crap already!"

"Right!"

"Hey, guys," Shayne's voice appeared behind us and I jumped behind Olivia and let out a squeak.

"Not doing great so far, Court," Olivia whispered to me. I slipped out from behind her and stood there with by arms behind my back.

"I was just coming over to say that we're about to head out. Oh, and Courtney?"

I looked up at him and he smiled at me. That damned smiled.

"I wanna talk to you. Later."

I nodded my head because if I said something it wouldn't be English. He smiled and walked off leaving us behind.

"That's your chance, Courtney. When you two have that talk, you need to ask him how he feels, okay?"

"O-okay. I can...do that"

-Later-

We headed back to our hotel and Shayne told me to wait for him outside. I decided to stand at the pier and watch the waves of the ocean as I waited. It reminded me of the first time I realized these feelings for Shayne. We were just talking out here, no harm in that. Not until later when I realized that I had feelings for a guy that didn't return them.

Wait. Or does he!?

He invited me out here to talk and he seemed secretive about it. Oh God! Does he like me!? Maybe he does! Maybe there is hope for me after all!

"Courtney"

I jumped back in surprise at his voice behind me. He just silently laughed and sighed at me.

"You seem so jumpy lately. It's one of the different things going on," he leaned on the wooden banister and looked out onto the ocean.

"Shayne...I.."

"Sorry"

"Huh?"

"About the other night when you told me how you felt. I should have handled that better, I just didn't expect it is all. I'm sure that's the reason why you've been avoiding me"

"I...that's not it. See, it's actually my fault that I'm avoiding you. I was scared of what that confession did to our friendship and I thought that it would be better if I didn't say anything to you. I would have looked at you, but my mind said no"

"I get that"

"I wanted to ask. How...how do you feel about me?"

"About you?"

"Yeah, I want to know how you feel. I know that we didn't really get to that part of the conversation and it's been bothering me"

"How I feel"

"Of course i-if you don't want to answer that's okay too! I just thought I'd ask si-since you know we didn't really-"

"Hey, calm down, Court. Honestly, I don't know how I feel right now. I'm kinda confused about that. I've been thinking about this ever since you brought up your feelings"

"I never knew"

"Yeah, well now you do"

"Listen, Shayne. I don't want any romantic feelings to ruin anything we've built up for these past 5 years. But...I was thinking that maybe...well, what if we were to get together?"

"You mean...as in, dating?"

"Yeah...I do"

"That'd be kinda hard. I mean there's this whole "no dating coworkers" contract that we have and-"

"You don't have to worry about that. Ian told me that he was planning on getting rid of it"

"Oh, okay then"

"Shayne. I know you've got a lot on your mind as of now, but I want you to focus on your feelings, okay? I'm not trying to push anything, but wouldn't you like to be in a relationship again? I know I do"

"It would be nice"

"I just...want you to think about it. You can take as long as you want. After all, I'm not really going anywhere that you aren't. We have the same job"

He didn't say anything. He just kept looking out at the ocean like he was expecting me to say something else.

"I'm going to bed. Goodnight. Shayne"

"Night"

I hesitated before walking off and into the building.

Is he really going to think about something like that? What will he say? Was I too pushy? Why do I keep asking myself questions?

Shayne has been given the task of thinking about how he truly feels and what he wants. Will Courtney get her relationship or not? Guess you'll have to find out in later chapters!