Seventeen

Shayne

I probably could've handled that better. How would you feel if someone you've known for five years just comes out and says they have these feelings for you? I've never had it happen before, so I don't know.

"Hey, Shayne. You going to tell me what happened or are you going to stare into the distance?" Damien snapped me out of my thoughts. I was sitting out in the hotel lobby waiting for everyone else and Damien happened to follow me.

"Yeah, sorry. I was just thinking about it," I said

"I know. This must be what it feels like to be around the main character of an anime when he's thinking"

"Yeah," I'll admit. That's true. "So, listen, you can't tell anyone, but...last night...Courtney told me that she likes me"

"Dude, we all like each other. We kinda have to if we want to work efficiently"

"No, what's crazy is that she meant she LIKES me"

"Oh, you mean like-"

"Yeah"

"Honestly, can't say I'm surprised. Do you like her back?"

"No, of course not"

"Why do I feel like you're lying to me?"

"I'm not! I really don't share her feelings. She seemed heartbroken when I didn't say anything about how I felt. I really could have handled that situation a bit better"

"What did you do?"

"I freaked out. Internally anyway. I just kinda said what I thought was right and left it at that"

"That must be where you screwed up"

"Yeah"

"You know what I think?"

"What?"

"Maybe you do feel the same. I'm sure you don't know mow, but someday you will and maybe, just maybe, you can actually say the right thing to her"

"I guess, but I really don't think I feel that way"

"You'll see"

"But I-"

"Morning guys," Keith's voice echoed through the lobby and grabbed the attention of the high class people.

"Morning, Keith," Damien said with a light chuckle. I looked behind Keith and noticed Courtney who was refusing to look at me and seemed more interested in the floor.

"Morning, Court," I said. She didn't respond. She just looked away.

"Well, where is everyone else?" Keith asked.

"Don't know. Shayne's the only one I found here and we haven't seen everyone else for about ten minutes," Damien said, "They must be running late"

They continued talking, but I wasn't paying attention. I was busy looking over at Courtney. She didn't look like her usual self. Her hair was messier than usual and whenever she looked up after looking at the ground, it would get in her face. She had her arms crossed the entire time and hasn't said a single word.

This is because of last night, isn't it?

I want to talk to her, but I don't think she wants to chat with me. I just kinda tried to pay attention to what Keith and Damien were talking about.

Eventually everyone else arrived and we headed out. Courtney never said a word to me. She didn't even look at me. I don't know what to do.

Maybe I should...talk to her? But how?